Single-Phase Uncontrolled Full-Wave Rectifier (Resistive Load)

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by kenny-one, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kenny-one

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2010
    hi guys.

so i have this equation which i have attached, so i am asked to prove/verify that is correct, meaning i have to know the source equation and derive until i get to this point(as in the figure attached).

pls help guys. thanks a lot.

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The RMS voltage on a diode is defined as \sqrt{\frac1T \int_0^{T/2} V(t)^2 dt}
    and the RMS voltage on the output os \sqrt{\frac1{T/2} \int_0^{T/2} V(t)^2 dt}because it is rectified and has half the period of the original.
    As for the diode peak current, it is max(V(t))-0.7, essentially max(V(t))=Vpeak.

Can you work a relation between those quantities?

3. kenny-one

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2010
    thanks for helping.

So i tried to derive some equations, and i got the following:

-if we consider the source voltage to be(as in the figure in attachment2), then, the diode rms voltage and output(rms) in relation to the voltage source are(as in the figure in attachment1).

-My question: what is the relation between Vrms,diode and Vpeak,diode? from here i can go by solving the currents.

thanks again.

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Well, you know that for an ideal diode, Vpeak_diode equals Vpeak_source. And you know the relation between Vpeak_source and Vrms_source. That, along with your attachment no1, gives you your answer.

5. kenny-one

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2010
    oh, ya i got it...thanks a lot