Single phase ac motor help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MatK, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MatK

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I am new to blogging so please be patient. Also, please give me any critiques or directions that may help me.
    I am a typical electronics amateur. I know more than some and a lot less than others.
    I am currently needing information on single phase ac motors. Is there such thing as a single phase reversible, 2 speed motor? If so who makes it? This is to be mounted on an old Index milling machine. 1-3hp needed.
    Thanks

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If this is a new installation, I would look at getting a 220v 3 phase motor and a VFD, this way you have variable speed, the VFD can be ran off of single phase 240v supply.
    Max.

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Yes there is.

I would recommend a 3 phase motor however.

Much simpler speed control and reversing using a variable frequency drive.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If this is a machine you inherited and it already has a 3ph motor on it, you could be ahead of the game! ;)
    Max.

5. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Yes there are such motors but they are very expensive once you get above the common two speed reversible 1/2 - 3/4 Hp ones that most washing machines use.

Going with a 3ph motor and VFD drive will work better and be far cheaper being both the motor and VFD can be found used for cheap.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I'll 2nd (5th) the 3ph motor + vfd combo. Guys in the DIY machine tool retrofit crowd typically go for teco or huyingyang vfds; I believe they can be had for under $100.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you can pay a little extra, I would stay away from Huanyang, they have very poor documentation and no support at all, as far as I have found.
    I have one for evaluation purposes and am not impressed, so far.
    Hitachi are also a good bang for your buck.
    Max.

8. MatK

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Thank you all.
    Unfortunately the original motor was replaced with a 3phase single speed motor. This reduced the usability of the mill greatly. I have been leaning towards another 3 phase motor with a VFD but I had to check out the single phase unit one last time. I also had heard that Haunyang were the least desirable. I am hoping to keep it below the $750.00 mark for the 2 units. Thanks again.

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    With the VFD the existing motor, if it is 240v or dual voltage, it will not only have more variable speed than you have now, but if 4 pole motor, it can be taken to 120Hz for x2 the base speed.
    Max.

10. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Good support from Hitachi...........................

11. l0vot

Apr 29, 2013
    First, I don't think there is such thing as a one speed 3 phase induction motor if you get a VFD involved.

Second:
    There are single phase capacitor run motors with 2 or more speeds that are often used in fans. If you switch the coil the cap is connected to, the motor will spin the opposite direction it was designed to, and you should still be able to set it to one of the pre-set speeds. You can find one example here: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...-HP-230-VAC-750-RPM-2-SPEED-MOTOR-10-1702.axd

12. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't understand that you are looking for a 3 phase motor. As you say motor has been replaced with a 3 phase motor.:confused:

2nd machine maybe?

And, what power level do you have available?

240vac single phase? Only 120vac?