Single phase 1HP AC servo motor Control

kapil2910

Joined Jun 26, 2013
Hello sir,
I am really confused :mad: that how to control the speed (rpm) of my Single phase 1 HP Servo motor using PWM by PIC16F877A micro-controller.
What hardware and Code should i use to interface my 1 HP servo motor with PIC16F77A for controlling it's speed.
Please find attachment for specifications of the motor which i am having.
Please help, it's urgent........
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
It seems that what you really have is a 1HP Brushless DC motor. These motors have a permanent magnet rotor and a 3 phase stator along with rotor position sensors. They require monitoring of the position sensors in order to generate 3 distinct voltages equating to a 3 phase waveform. The frequency and phasing control the speed and direction of the motor. Obviously, your PIC will not have the ability to directly drive the motor so a power amplifier stage is required.

If you look at the link you posted, it seems to be more about the drive system than the motor. The block diagrams shown will demonstrate the complexity of driving these motors, especially when used in a position servo environment.

kapil2910

Joined Jun 26, 2013
Thanks sir for the reply....
Some one told me to use IGBT gate drives and H-Bridge to interface the microcontroller with the motor... PWM can be given using the Micro-controller (PIC16f877a).
But i really dont know much about these, means the Hardware connections.
please can you help regarding this or in some other ways.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
What you were told about the IGBT output stage is correct. The problem is that the timing is super critical in these H-Bridge configurations and you will be attempting to generate 3 phase psuedo sine waves through the PWM technique. The cost to procure parts, the time to design both hardware and software, debug, replace blown up components as the initial design fails, etc. will far outweigh the cost of a commercial unit designed for the job. Many manufacturers offer off-the-shelf drives suitable for the job. You would need to make sure that a drive you select is compatible with the particular motor and feedback system you have.