single button varied output circuit

Rabster

Joined Mar 14, 2010
Hi After some advice here i have not built circuits in over 12 years so bit rusty.

what im trying to do is use a single push button to trigger a series of events, i was thinking a logic circuit is the best way to go and more reliable for long lasting.

1st push latches the output 1 to give 12v via a relay
2nd push & hold Holds output 1 at 12v until released also done via a relay
3rd push removes the latched output 1

on the 1st push i will also require a LED to trigger

i have seen a circuit on here similar to what i want to do using relays but not quite what im after

can anyone advise

Cheers
Andrew

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Have you heard of a company called Toyota? ;)

Be careful. The relays you have to be very rugged and reliable.
A microprocessor would make a simple task of this, as you can assign the triggers on the button release so he first button "release" would activate a relay
A button hold+then release would activate another relay
then a double tap or triple tap or morse code for "off" to shut the relays off.

But then again, you also might find yourself at 92 mph rolling down the highway.

Rabster

Joined Mar 14, 2010
HI thanks i have looked at that link and that is exactly what im trying to do, although i cant seem to find the johnson counter on a maplin website...

is there an alternative that would do the same job ??

Cheers
Andrew

Rabster

Joined Mar 14, 2010
Hi all, as i dont want to clutter up the other thread in post 2 i thought i would bring the subject back to here. the circuit shown should in theory do what i want it to do however the problem im encountering are

The switch i need to use is a SPST the reason for this is its a switch designed for a later spec car than mine and fits in nicely with where its going it also has all the led's buit into it i can post a pic up if people require to make it clear as to the reason i need to use this switch.

i assumed that using a relay to convert the single press into a spdt would have worked but my assumption is wrong i see so im thinking it needs to be done at circuit level to eliminate any bounces etc

the second is even with a SPDT switch the circuit is still doing funky things like missing a count etc im using a regulator to bring the current down to 6v for the circuit and the 12v is being applied to the relays

the 2 circuits share a common ground.

for the purpose of testing i am using a transformer rated at 18v so i have headroom for everything to function

i have checked the circuit at the outputs from the chip and they seem to work correct but its only when i connect the diodes and transistors up that the circuit has issues...

Rabster

Joined Mar 14, 2010
Hi all sorry for the delay, im one of these people that will admit when i made a mistake so the circuit does now work with a SPDT switch i had a solder bridge on the id once removed the circuit functioned correctly.

It does seem that this will do what i want it to do so i have to say a big thanks to soren for designing it.

i do have the problem still that i need to use a SPST switch i have attached a couple of pictures to help show why i need one not sure if it helps

I have moved the stuff into the house as it was getting cold in the workshop so excuse the mess :)

anyway i thought about using a logic system to convert my SPST to work with the circuit the problem im having is that it triggers the circuit once i release the switch not if i hold it down which isnt a big problem for the 1st 2 stage but the 3rd stage of holding it on doesn't work.

any advice on this would be great.

Cheers
Andrew