sine wave applies to transmission gate

pinoismo

Joined Apr 21, 2011
a sine wave was applied to a transmission gate as an input voltage when the gate was ON and when it was OFF. then the output was generated on the scope. please! how do you explain the scope output when the gate was ON IMG_0288.jpg and when it was OFF IMG_0287.jpg.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It would help to have the test setup and know what the "transmission gate" (analog switch?) was. Perusing the data sheet for the gate might shed light.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Take a look at the first illo in the data sheet. Notice the body diode inherent in the FET's. The off conduction is simply half wave rectification through one of those body diodes.

pinoismo

Joined Apr 21, 2011
the problem is that when I applied +5vdc to V(in), V(out) = 0 when the gate is off, and V(out)=+5vdc when the gate was on.
if the

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I'm confused, which is not too unusual. It seems that to stop any signal from going through, both A and A* should be 0 V. To get full wave throughput, both should be +5 V. What am I missing?

OOPS: Just now saw Beenthere's response about the diodes! Totally missed that since I had only looked at the OP's original sketch instead of going to the datasheet.

Last edited:

pinoismo

Joined Apr 21, 2011
the gate A is for an nomos that it's channel get inverted with logic high( +5vdc in this case). and A* gate is for a pmos that get activated with 0 logic.
the gate works as intended when we apply +5vdc as V(in), which means when the T-gate is on V(out) = V(in), and when the gate is off V(out)= 0V.
I get that, the irony is that I cannot explain what happen when the sine wave is applied as V(in).
please refer to previous posts to see how the gate works

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This might be farfetched, but try this: Connect the substrate (middle arrow) of the PMOS to the Vcc and the substrate of the NMOS to the Ground. Tell us if you see anything different.

I would also like to ask if this is an actual lab experiment, because the transmission gate is a digital circuit, meant to work with logic levels, not analog signals.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The devices used don't seem to have the substrate / body diodes accessible other than by the source terminals. If this is so, then it will not be so easy to back-bias the body diodes. Note with the complementary FETs connected in opposite senses, the body diodes are in the same direction, so as to turn on for the negative half-cycle.

In addition, the gates are driven between 0V and +5V only, not to any negative voltage. Because of this, negative signal excursions may tend to turn the NMOS channel on.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Not all transmission gate applications are digital, although for analogue applications it may be preferable to refer to such devices as analogue switches. Some manufacturers offer transmission-gate based products intended for analogue switching. Here is a rather old one, analogue or digital: http://www.national.com/ds/CD/CD4066BC.pdf