Sinclair Calculator - Oxford 300

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I got, long time ago, a small bag full of obscure (to me) logic chips probably predating TTL or with "proprietary" ID (Siemens, Signetics or ???). Several CD4000 in ceramic packaging. Some coming from a Loran C receiver nobody could repair.

Still reassembling my bench, cannot show pictures.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@atferrari

"Much less the girls that also use to came on board to offer other things, not electronics related, precisely"

Yes, the calculator has a wall adaptor inlet as well as an internal 9V PP3 battery. The instructions recommended wall use because of the high current draw (40mA).
Glad you like it :)

It saddens me to not have lived through a time where electronics began to come into everyday use :(
Now all I get is cheap computers full of bloatware!

I'm gonna star a revolution which rejects bloatware, pointless functions, horribly built tech (except for the ZX spectrum, that can stay), silly overpowered GUI (aero on windows anyone?), 1080DPI (That has to go), flash drives, and anything that just wastes precious bytes!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
How far back in time on things do you want to go?

I have a few still functional vacuum tubes from the 1910 -1920 era,
some huge mercury filled water cooled industrial thyratron units for the 1940's (vacuum tube version of what we call an SCR now),
A working vacuum tube based automotive battery charger from an unknown time and loads of other odds and ends of mechanical, electrical and general technical stuff from back in the early to mid 1900's as well. ;)

And that's just the items that come to mind this early in the day. :p

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
How far back in time on things do you want to go?

I have a few still functional vacuum tubes from the 1910 -1920 era,
some huge mercury filled water cooled industrial thyratron units for the 1940's (vacuum tube version of what we call an SCR now),
A working vacuum tube based automotive battery charger from an unknown time and loads of other odds and ends of mechanical, electrical and general technical stuff from back in the early to mid 1900's as well. ;)

And that's just the items that come to mind this early in the day. :p
That old tech sounds amazing, and very dangerous if broken :S

How far back do I want to go? Hmm, I would love to live in a world with 80's tech but I would love a modern world intergrated with 80's tech instead.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Better check out if the cassette works. After all, you need somewhere to store your stuff or you will be getting a lot of practice typing.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Better check out if the cassette works. After all, you need somewhere to store your stuff or you will be getting a lot of practice typing.
We recorded with a headphone/mic cable to a blackberry (voice notes) feature - that was about 2007, the computer was a TI99-4A from about 1983?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It was dangerous even when not broken...
Yea considering they are about the size of two coffee cans stacked together and weigh about 30 - 40 pound each. A guy could drop one and smash a toe pretty easy.:eek:

Or if you're an enviro nutter the 2 - 3 pounds of Mercury in each one could be a concern too. :p

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I got to thinking and I also have a old magneto in my collection that is likely over 100 years old now. Still works if I am remembering the right one. ;)