Simplified D1 Nocturnal Solar Engine

Scrixx

Joined Jan 19, 2010
Hello, I'm fairly new at electronics and wanted to see if I could build a little pummer. These little guys seem simple enough, charge during the day, light show at night. The nocturnal solar engine I'm trying to build is the simplified D1 ( http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html ). I'm having some trouble so I tried to build the circuit excluding the capacitor and solar panel since I'm using a power supply to troubleshoot.

So I have the 2n3906 emitter connected to the positive of the power supply, its collector connected to the positive lead of the LED. The base of the 2n3906 is connected tot he collector of a 2n3904. The base connected to the collector of another 2n3904. The base of that 2n3904 is connected to the negative lead of the LED. The emitter of both 2n3904s are connected to ground.

For testing shouldn't the LED light up with a consistent voltage running through the circuit? Is it possible to use 3 volts for the power supply?
The circuit isn't very clear, the Q1, Q2, Q3 are not labeled. Can someone help clear up the circuit? Really want to build this little guy to be my companion.

I hope this was the right place to ask this, thanks for the help and sorry if it is in the wrong section.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Do you have a Voltmeter? If so, then copy or sketch the schematic and annotate the voltages you measure at various points in the circuit. Then scan your annotated schematic and post it here for us to look at. With voltages noted maybe we can spot what has gone wrong.

hgmjr

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The solar panel must be big enough and be in full sunlight to provide enough energy to light the LED. But a lighted red LED will not be visible in sunlight so run some wires to it in a shaded place.