Simple Transmitter Question

Camman

Joined Feb 14, 2013
Hello all,

A few friends of mine are looking to produce some sort of transmitter which we are making for a engineering writing class here at UCSB. We are second quarter freshman computer engineers so we really don’t know much but we want to make a simple item which makes a noise when a button is pressed on a remote. How would we go about searching on how to create something like this? We want to be able to press a button on a type of remote control and have another object create a loud sound possibly 30 feet away or so. You have to keep in mind we really know how to do none of this aha. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Cameron

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The simplest course of action I can think of is to get a cheap remote-controlled car, take the car apart, remove the two wires going to the motor and connect them to your siren IF they are the same voltage. If not, then you can add a relay between the wires and your siren and power your siren separately.

Are you wanting the siren to sound only while you push a button or do you want to push a button, release it, and have the siren go off for x amount of time? The latter will require a timing circuit like a 555.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
How far into it do you need to go? I like elec_mech's simple solution. If I needed a device like that at home, I would probably do something along those lines. But, IMO, its only half way legit for an academic exercise. If his solution is allowed, then is going to Walmart and buying a wireless door bell also allowed?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You could probably come up with an app that would sound an alarm on a smartphone when a particular bluetooth device is activated and detected.

As noted, there are many possible solutions depending on what your constraints are.