Simple transmitter needed...

jimmy25

Joined Oct 1, 2013
I am doing a project in our shop and I know what I want to accomplish but dont know exactly what I need to do it. This is all new to me so excuse my verbage I will try to explain as concise as I can.

The goal is I want a small receiver that can light a small light when triggered. It would plug. into a 12volt power source.

The transmitter I would like to be a small 5 volt or similar and the switch has two leads off of it. When those leads are connected the transmitter then sends the signal to light the light. The distance would be 70 feet maybe not in straight line of sight.

What do I need or where can I buy this. I can solder but if there is something out there with bare leads I can complete my switch how I would like.

Thank you for helping a newbie.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
There are soooo may different ways you could do this. Just off the top of my head: R/C controller, IR (assuming you can bounce infrared off the walls and around corners), ultrasonic.

There's probably 100 off-the-shelf solutions for you with just a quick Google search.

jimmy25

Joined Oct 1, 2013
Not if i don't know what I am looking at.

I was thinking a signal like a key fob or door opener has?

I have done google searches for these things and I get a lot of results and have no clue if its what I want or would work.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not if i don't know what I am looking at.

I was thinking a signal like a key fob or door opener has?

I have done google searches for these things and I get a lot of results and have no clue if its what I want or would work.
Ummm...considering that it's your application, none of us would have a clue as to whether something is what you want, either. Just sayin'....

BTW, Googling "Key Fob Controller" shows 700,000 results. Would you like me to sort through them for you?

jimmy25

Joined Oct 1, 2013
I just told you what i wanted to do. For a senior member you are piece of work.

You are talking to someone that knows absolutely nothing about these things. I know they exist but have no clue what pieces to buy to even start.

I explained the whole project. It has to close a switch then light a light. But the one requirement is the transmitter has 2 open leads that when closed together is your activation. Key fobs on those results have none of that.

I told you my goal and what it was going to do. Since you feel you are above this why did you post?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
If you want to build something from scratch, IR is nice and simple for this application, but I'd be concerned about the range the OP asks for.

If I were doing this, I'd use a COTS (commercially off the shelf) product. Wireless devices have their own set of headaches and it is often cheaper to buy something that meets your needs rather than build it (for simple RF applications).

Here is a system another member used that might meet your needs. It has four channels so you could control up to four devices if you so choose in the future. The receiver works with 12VDC. You can probably find similar units with less channels, but I doubt you'll beat this at $14 USD. Good luck.

jimmy25

Joined Oct 1, 2013
That would work for the light option. But the problem I am having is the transmitter part so its already open unit and I can add the switch or button I need to finish it.

The switch I want to move away from the transmitter body a little ways. Thats where the lead wires come into play. Transmitter body would be fixed mounted and then I would have some mobility where I put the button or switch.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
It might be momentary, might not make the light STAY ON without some
flip flop circuit or something.

The device linked before with the four relays would likely have latched states,
or an option for them.

Here is another one I have used:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR8824

If you want to wire your own switch, you could just crack open one of the
transmitters of any unit and add your own.