Simple RF signal strength meter using PIC

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by Abdo_pc_dr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Abdo_pc_dr

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    I need to make a Simple RF signal strength meter using PIC for a specific frequency e.g. 300 MHz Can any one help me with that ? :)

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Abdo_pc_dr

Apr 3, 2010
    well I need a simple one using PIC microcontroller so I can use it in my Graduation project i need it only to measure signal strength so I can detect distance between two objects

4. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    All the PIC has to do is be a DC voltmeter to display the resultant reading from a conventional RF signal strength meter circuit.
    There are many such circuits on the 'Net & in Ham Radio publications.

5. Abdo_pc_dr

Apr 3, 2010
    Well , Thanks all of your help but actually I'm confused
    Which circuit I need to measure Power of a specific frequency 300 MHz ?

6. TecknoTone

May 20, 2012
    More importantly, you need a detector circuit to determine field strength. No such device will indicate distance from the transmitter, just field strength.

A PIC could be used but a moving coil meter could equally be used and the system could then potentially be passive. You seem to be concentrating on the unnecessarily overcomplicated part of your design whilst ignoring the core system component.

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you have a look at the page I gave?
    There is a section: RF Test Circuits
    In there you will find RF power meters and field strenght meters.

Bertus

8. Abdo_pc_dr

Apr 3, 2010
    NOT any of circuits ... can get output for specific frequency as current or voltage !!

9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A PIC Cannot receive radio signals.

You will need an analog front end tuner and pre-amp. The output of the pre-amp can be demodulated either digitally or via analog, or the strength of the signal alone can be converted to a voltage level from 0-5V so the PIC can read that analog voltage.

If you are trying to implement "Software Radio", you will need a MUCH faster computing system.

In short, the PIC in the scenario you are describing would only be the output/user interface device. All of the radio level tuning/noise filtering/etc would need to be handled by an off-chip radio system.

10. Abdo_pc_dr

Apr 3, 2010
    I need to use PIC as a Voltmeter or Ammeter to measure Specific signal strength from an external circuit all I need is that circuit and it's details

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Which circuit? The RF part, or using a PIC as a Voltmeter part?

You'll find tons of info on precision voltage measurement with PIC, up to about 9 bits of accuracy (1/512) to 10 bits (1/1024) if you use a precision external voltage reference.

The RF side, that gets more complicated.