Simple resistor question - please help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Scruffy123, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Scruffy123

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I have read a lot about resistors but I still can't seem to find the answer to the question - do resistors in series lower just the voltage or both the voltage and the current? I've attached a simple drawing to describe what I'm looking for. What I want to know is if at the output of that circuit, only the voltage has dropped or the voltage and the current have dropped because of resistor R1. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Blofeld

Feb 21, 2010
  3. richie.mann

Aug 14, 2012
    I guess I need to explain the drawing for you Blofeld. Circles on each end of the lines like Scruffy123 drew are used to show where connections can be made: the "+" on the top left circle means the positive connection and the "-" on the bottom left circle means the negative connection. On the left side, 12 volts DC are connected and on the right side is where the output is connected. This is pretty common for schematic diagrams where you don't want to show the entire circuit. What Scruffy123 is interested in is what happens between the input and output. Is only the voltage reduced, or is both the voltage and current reduced? I can explain the schematic more and have a link to a tutorial if you need it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  4. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Given Richie.mann and scruffy are the same person you are off to a bad start here. I would suggest you start by learning schematic conventions, which is not what you are using.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    OK, duplicate user names aside, when something is connected to the output side both the voltage and the current will be lower then if there was no resistor there. With nothing connected the 12V is not reduced, and the current is zero (open circuit).

However, that's not going to teach you much about how resistors work.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually Ohm's Law pretty much covers it, it is the starting point for all people learning electronics.