simple question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by silver6g72, Sep 26, 2005.

1. silver6g72

Thread Starter Member

Sep 18, 2005
    what is the difference between the 2? what different types of applications would you use each? my book doesnt give me a point blank answer :(

2. haditya

Jan 19, 2004
    Rheostats are generally high power(current) rated whereas pots hav a relatively low power rating..

3. Sebi

Sep 24, 2005
    Yeah, i mean, this terms depending from country. In my mind the rheostat have only two connections: one end and wiper, the pot. have 3 legs: two end and wiper.
    With pot. possible to make a voltage divider, the rheostat connection most of case:serial with load.

4. silver6g72

Thread Starter Member

Sep 18, 2005
    thanks guys for the responses

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I remember someone saying to me that the difference between the two was that the Rheostat was a variable resistor that varied the resistance by current control, whereas the potentiometer was a variable resistor that varied the resistance by voltage control. This is why the Rheostat is used as a two legged device and the potentiometer is a three legged device.

6. n9xv

Jan 18, 2005
    A rheostat controlls current. A potentiometer controls voltage. Think of it this way, a potentiometer is used to "meter" (control) a "potential".

7. Firestorm

Jan 24, 2005
    I made a schem showing the differences for a question just like this one. Just gotta find the link or file on my comp (If its still there! ahh)
    thx l8er

*found it!...sorta a visual of what every1 else has already explained.*

-fire