simple quasi-complementary Germanium PNP transistors

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm a little concerned with the cellophane (scotch) tape on the transformer connections. Other the. That, point-to-point wiring works like a charm - just a tedious PITA.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
In case anyone in this thread is still wondering why he would want to use germanium transistors, it's because some old audio gear designs using germanium transistors had a particular, loved sound. It might be distortion characteristics of the germanium versus the silicon, I'm not sure.

I know of at least one new commercial product using germanium transistors: Chandler Germanium Preamp. I've used it and I totally loved it.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
In case anyone in this thread is still wondering why he would want to use germanium transistors, it's because some old audio gear designs using germanium transistors had a particular, loved sound. It might be distortion characteristics of the germanium versus the silicon, I'm not sure.

I know of at least one new commercial product using germanium transistors: Chandler Germanium Preamp. I've used it and I totally loved it.
Lol
Thats really cool and I picked up a couple germanium parts some time ago and found I have no real use for them and they collect dust...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Yes, germanium preamps can be interesting but germanium power transistors and hot class A amps are not good for much more than feeling like you are at the drive-in in the 1960s trying to watch the original "War of the Worlds" as your parents argue in the front seat whether or not this movie is appropriate for kids.