simple problem, need help fast

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adamclark, Nov 23, 2013.

1. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    hello, my wive broke the traces off the tiny micro-usb charger plug on her phone. so I had a small piece of 5 line flat ribbon cable that I can connect to the battery under the case and still put the cover on, Ive got it set up so the cable folds inside the batt. cover until its needed , then it comes out about 4 inches, and I have a socket the ribbon plubs in. Ive soldered the socket a piece of protoboard and ive used a length of usb wire with a usb plug on one end and the red and black wire on the other. now I could connect the usb wire to the pins on the ribbon socket and charge the phone, but I wanted to know how hard it would be to add a red LED showing the charger has power and a green one that shows charging when its plugged into the phone. I need to have this finished tonite, so somw quick replies would be just awesome... Oh, and should I add a cap there to keep the current smooth?
  2. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    or even better,, I have some rgb LEDS,It would be gool to use green for on and blue for connected
  3. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Power-on indication is easy - just use a red LED across the power pins with the appropriate resistor. I haven't done the calculation but it will be something like 200Ω.

A phone-connected indicator is trickier. I can think of several ways but none without other components (a comparator). Maybe someone else has a simpler idea.
  4. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    I wouldn't do it, get the phone fixed or get another phone. The charging circuit that keeps you from overcharging the battery is in the phone. If you bypass the charging circuit you stand a big chance of overcharging the battery and causing a fire. Lipo's do not like to be overcharged.

If it's not a popular $mart phone. I have had real good luck finding phones on eBay for less than I could get one repaired. Most often can find the exact phone for a few bucks. Stick the SIM card out of your old phone in the eBay phone and you are back in business.