Simple power filtration / isolation method?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mtodman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mtodman

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi. I'm relatively new to the world of electronics so I apologise if this question seems naive.

I need to power a number of devices from a single 12V 85AH Gel Cel battery. These devices include fairly sensative electronics equipment such as a notebook PC and a computer controlled telescope but also include things like heating elements (to keep my telescope optics from dewing up) and PWM control circuit to control light globe intensity.
    Currently, there is no electrical isolation between any of these devices.

Is there a relatively simple way I can isolate the individual circuits from the likes of current surges and voltage fluctuations? I would hate for a short circuit on one devide to destroy others.

Many thanks

Matt

2. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    You can use fuses so one short doesn't affect another circuit...much. You can add a capacitor across the battery to absorb high frequency loads. The idea that current surges come from a battery is giving me a headache. I've never heard of that.

3. mtodman

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks Bychon.
    Would a single 1000uF electrolytic between the batter terminals do?

Re the current surges, my concern is a short circuit in the heating elements.

Rgds

Matt

4. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    A thousand uf sounds OK. The battery is actually a form of capacitor, just not a very good one. You're only supplementing the capacitance of the battery. As for a heater shorting, that will not send a surge through something else.