Simple Object Detector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Abdullah90, May 15, 2011.

1. Abdullah90

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2011
    Hi Friends!

I want to make a project. My own project. My project is like this.
    This project is a letter detector. I will put this thing in the postbox. When a postmen insert the letter in the postbox, the LED outside the postbox will light/'on'. This LED will continously 'on' until the letter is taken.
    My postbox is located at the gate. So, the circuit must be all connected in/near that postbox.

Please, someone give me the idea. Better if it is the cheapest and easy way.

Thanks!

2. cjdelphi

Mar 26, 2009
    is there a latch on the postbox? if so a reed switch would activate on the open/close of the post box, you could then have the light switch on until you hard reset it at the box to start over...

you'd need a pretty bright LED for it to work in the daytime though, should look purty at night....

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Sounds like a neat project but be prepared for the bomb squad to show up to investigate the suspicious device in your mailbox.

Does your mailbox have a door to open, or just a slot through which the letters are deposited?

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Personally I would make a light beam inside the mailbox so a letter or package would break the beam to sense mail. Depending on the mailbox it may take several beams to sense all mail.