Simple midi switch

Marc0

Joined Nov 28, 2011
I would like to build the switch pictured below (found it online). Do you think it is a good project? Any recommendations?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think it's a good project if you need a manually operated MIDI switcher!

Otherwise not such a good project. ;)

Marc0

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Yep I need something manually operated. I have one midi master keyboard (one midi out), and some rack synths...just wanted something simple to easily select and play a synth without having to manually swap the cables.
I could chain-connect the synths, using their midi thru ports, but that has its drawbacks...all of the synths must be turned on, and I have to fiddle with channels.

Marc0

Joined Nov 28, 2011
What kind and size of wire should I use to make the connections between the midi sockets and the switch?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Any low quality stranded wire will work at 5 volts, 5 milliamps, 31,250 bits per second.

Just wanted to mention, years ago I bought a book called Electronic Music and MIDI Projects by RA Penfold. All the through boxes and switchers were designed with an open collector optocoupler 6N139 to make OR'ed outputs of higher current capability than the "usual" 5 milliamp MIDI signal. The point being to use active repeaters, I have no idea if this is necessary.