Simple line mixer circuit

reevery

Joined Jun 10, 2009
I was wondering if I could ask for opinions on my circuit. I am trying to build a two stage line mixer circuit, and I have attached the circuit diagram ?@I have made based on what I can find on the internet. I have made the notes below and would appreciate some feedback on the circuit. For simplicity I have not jointed the grounds together but presume I need to, and have not noted where a slider would be controlling two pots.

Inputs:
- 5 inputs are all line-level PC stereo outputs, and are all volume controlled by a 10k pot.

Stage 1 mixer:
- Two stereo feeds mixed together (1 and 2) where they will be outputted and later fed to another volume control.
- Two further stereo feeds mixed together (4 and 5) and fed to stage 2 where they won't have any further volume control.
- One remaining feed (3) is just volume controlled here but not combined with anything else yet.
- At this stage of Stage 1 I want to output to two headsets (marked SPKR 2 and SPKR 3) - with the mixed feed of 1 and 2 in one ear of each, and the feed from 3 in the other.

Stage 2 mixer:
- This stage combines everything - there is no volume control on the 4 and 5 feeds as this will have been done in stage 1, but I have put another series of 10k pots in to control whether or not 1, 2 and 3 can be heard. This output is going to a pair of speakers (rather than headsets).

I realise this is complicated and because of this and the number of lines I am concerned I may need to improve the circuit. Other than general comments about my approach, I have the following specific questions:

1) If I use car speakers for SPKR 1, would I need to amplify this output? At the moment it would be going to active computer speakers which would have an amplifier in them.
2) I am expecting some loss on this, which is acceptable, but without spending lots of money is there anything I can do to reduce this, particularly if a circuit is faded out (as I expect in stage 2 for a fair time feeds 1, 2 and 3 will be? [NB the simple solution is to introduce a fourth speaker set and to separate 1 and 2 completely, should I consider this?]
3) Inputs 1, 2 and 3 are essentially mono feeds, is there any point at which I could or should consider them to be mono or is it best to consider them stereo so that they can be fed into the left and right circuits appropriately?

I appreciate your time and expertise and comments would be gratefully received.

Matthew

Attachments

reevery

Joined Jun 10, 2009
I had googled and found some simpler circuits that looked suitable, the problem was I wasn't sure whether I needed anything more. I have added some opamps as I think they would work but not very sure about the circuit - does it look more appropriate now?

Two questions specifically: Do I need to put an op-amp on the two lines not being mixed before they go through second stage mixing; and as these should in theory be line-level inputs I presume I don't need to pre-amp them?

Attachments

Last edited: