Simple LED Light

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kazik, Jun 28, 2013.

1. kazik

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a very simple LED light similar to the image below. In essence, I would like to mount 3 LED lights (or more) in a metal tube that is approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. I would like to be able to hook the lamp into a regular wall socket for power. I have no experience with circuits, but would love to learn. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what parts I would need to make this happen. I am trying to minimize the cost and would like to be able to fit all the necessary wiring and parts inside the tube (so none of the circuitry is visible from the outside).

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

[​IMG]

2. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    You will need an AC transformer to step the voltage down and it certainly won't fit in the tube.

There are diode/cap techniques for getting power directly from the AC line but they are dangerous and this forum doesn't support their use.

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    you could use a small switched mode psu like a mobile phone charger.

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    What is the LED color & forward current?

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I think assembly will be a challenge. How do you intend to mount the LEDs? I think you'll have to attach lead wires first, then push the LED into the tube and into a mounting hole, farthest LED first. When they are all mounted, connect the lead wires to your circuitry and then shove the wires into the tube as you make room for the circuit to also be pushed in. Maybe the circuit will go into the end opposite the LEDs. Anyway, those LED lead wires should be stranded and flexible, not normal hookup wire.

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    This is easy if your AC power comes via a wall wart, and just about impossible (or too dangerous to discuss on this board) if the idea is to run the lights directly. You could consider a transformer in your tube, but I doubt if you'll find any that will fit. Wall warts are cheap and safe, so it's definitely the direction I'd go in.