Simple LED blinking

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Simply make a low frequency astable ocillator with the 555 and have its output feed an LED with a current-limiting resistor in series with the LED.

The supply needs a bypass capacitor and the oscillator needs one or two resistors and a capacitor.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for advices. But I have just 0,01uF/100V capacitor. Can I use it in TTL circuit with 5,5V?
No, the LED would flash much too fast for you to be able to see it.

The circuit I posted will flash at just under 1Hz with the values shown. If you tried to use your 0.01uF capacitor, it would flash at 100Hz, and you would not be able to see the flashing; it would just look dim. R1 can't be increased very much, because the current flow would be too low.

You need a larger capacitor.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Good. :)

Note that in the schematic, the pins on the 555 are reversed; as if you were looking at them from the bottom, with the notch on the end of the IC towards the top of the schematic.

bevi

Joined Apr 23, 2009
I have had some doubts, if 100V capacitor will works on TLL with 5,5V. Now I know It will. I hope It's impossible to get a 100V electrick kick, if I messed up something?

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
How to create a simple LED blinking TTL circuit with 555 chip? Just 1 led, resistor and and 555.
Hi Bevi,
the above answers are right, but here's a little more info,
rig up the Timer in astable mode. R1 in pins = 4k7 RES
R2 =10k in pins 6+7, thats the Res bit, for C it depends on what flash rate you may want eg with the above put a 100uf electrolitic capacitor in pins 1&2 the negitive goes to pin one..ok? now I Personally find a 68 ohms ok for a decent brightnes.. the goes from pin 3 of the chip to a hole in the breadboard. then you positive of the LED goes in there to the 68 ohm resistor.. and take a wire from the negitive lead and insert that to 0volts..

With the above C electro capacitor the LED will exactly flash 1 flash per second. now if you want to speed it up, you only have to change the capacitor buy a factor of ten, so if you use a 10uf elec -+ ones that will flash at approx 5/6hz per second..
I think going a bit deeper a 47uf is 3hz.. ok and so on...
and it works to I've timed them all. HTH

redlight:)