Simple comparator not working, voltage dropped

Vindhyachal Takniki

Joined Nov 3, 2014
1. I have made a simple single supply comparator, ckt is attached.
2. Mosfet I have used in N-channel , with Vgs = 4V. (part number is different as mentioned in ckt).
Supply voltage range is 5V - 6.5V.
3. I have to cut the output when voltage crosses above 6.5V.
4. I have tried three different comparator with LM311 as attached, OP07 & 741 also. All have same problem.

5. Problem is:

If difference at Vin- & Vin+ is high then opamp/comarator works fine i.e full swing at output, which turn off/on mosfet completely & circuit is switched off/on accordingy.

But when voltage difference at vin- & vin+ is very low or almost equal, output voltage of opamp falls. From 6.5V it remain 4.5V or nearby. Dut to mosfet don't get on/off properly & drop across mosfet occurs.. I don 't understand why this problem.

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Comparators often oscillate right at the threshold voltage. That may be what is happening to you. You can add a 1 meg resistor from the output to the + input to make it switch clean.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why no decoupling capacitors?
Why no connections on pins 5 & 6?
Are you sure the output is not oscillating?

Edit: ronv beat me to it.
Hysteresis is common on comparators for this very reason.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If a NFET has a published Vgs threshold of 4V, it takes a Vgs of about 6 to10V to actually turn it on. You would have to use an NFET with an Vgs(th) of less than 2V to make this work. I would recommend replacing the NFet with an NPN Darlington...

This circuit has no hysteresis, so will rapidly switch on/off as the battery voltage decreases.

You might be interested in following this thread.