simple circuit for measuring current

mscerri

Joined Nov 22, 2012
for 1A yes. But how low a current do you want to measure, I think you mentioned microamps?
Yes it is mostly microamps. Do you know how can I cater for milli and micro amps with one setup? This is because for a wifi module it would draw current in the range of mA when tranmitting/receiving and uA when in sleep mode.

Thank you and sorry to bother you again.

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
Yes it is mostly microamps. Do you know how can I cater for milli and micro amps with one setup? This is because for a wifi module it would draw current in the range of mA when tranmitting/receiving and uA when in sleep mode.

Thank you and sorry to bother you again.
You should use a high quality (low noise) instrumentation amplifier and you need to alter the gain for each level of current. Gain 1 for the mA range up to 1000mA and gain 2 for the uA range up to 1000uA. If you are measuring currents lower than 10uA then you might want a third gain setting. I have had success using the AD623 in this kind of function to set different gains; it only uses a single resistor to set gain so you only need to switch between 2 or 3 values to set your 2 or 3 current ranges.