simple circuit for measuring current

mscerri

Joined Nov 22, 2012
If the current is going to ground you could use this simple op amp application. Since the - input is a virtual ground it will have no resistance, and have a voltage out for very low current applications. The better the op amp the better it works.

Could you help me out in this setup please? How should I connect it to determine actual current? I am using opamp OPA335

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You will notice that that circuit is an inverting amplifier. Hence a positive voltage on the input will result in the output trying to go negative if the power supply will allow it to do so.

What you want is a difference amplifier that will amplify the DC voltage across a resistor.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
transconductance amplifiers are voltage controlled current sources e.g.
So it is like the mosfet Vs the BJT. The mosfet is an voltage controlled current source, whereas the BJT is an current controlled voltage source. I've never used an MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) -- before. Memorized the anocrym for an exam years ago and have never forgotten it.

Seems a bit strange / expensive / specialized using the OPA335 OPAMP for such an fundamental building block. The more common TL072 JFET dual OPAMP is perhaps more appropriate?

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
So it is like the mosfet Vs the BJT. The mosfet is an voltage controlled current source, whereas the BJT is an current controlled voltage source. I've never used an MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) -- before. Memorized the anocrym for an exam years ago and have never forgotten it.

Seems a bit strange / expensive / specialized using the OPA335 OPAMP for such an fundamental building block. The more common TL072 JFET dual OPAMP is perhaps more appropriate?
there are 4500 different types of opamp on the Farnell website. You could choose any one of them, as appropriate, for your application.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
there are 4500 different types of opamp on the Farnell website. You could choose any one of them, as appropriate, for your application.
That's enough to send you mad. Farnell in Australia is called Element 14 now. Don't think business is so crash hot today. Old money, BIG profits from the 80's and the 90's maybe paying the bills.

mscerri

Joined Nov 22, 2012
yep.

It is not a supply line current measurement device. Best to use a current shunt with a diff amp. e.g.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/b...eed-an-amplifier-difference-or-isolation.693/

Peter
Hi Peter,

First of all thank you for yor interest to reply to my difficulty.

I have just realised what you have just said, that a transimpedance amplifier are not intended for supply line current measurement.

I intend to build a circuit that is able to capture the current drawn in the ranges on mA and uA. The main reason for this is to observe how power is consumed in battery powered device.

Would you be so kind to guide me please seeing that you are proficient in this area? I have modified my circuit to match the circuit which you provided earlier. [http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/b...ed-an-amplifier-difference-or-isolation.693/]

I am using OPA335 opamp. R1 0.8ohm. R2,R3,R4 and R5 are all 10Kohm .1% resistors. R6 is a 220ohm resistor in series with a red LED (for testing purposes).

I am measuring the output voltage by hooking the probe to Vout and Gnd.

I appreaciate your help.

Thank you in advance!

Malcolm.

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
I have found this document. http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyb194a/slyb194a.pdf

Referring to Current Shunt Monitors Low-Side Measurements, what does a 50mV shunt mean in practice please?

Thanks,

Malcolm.
The resistance of the current shunt RShunt produces 50mV at full scale current. So:
RShunt = 50mV/FullScaleCurrent

for 100A, RShunt = 0.50mR
1A, RShunt = 50mR
10mA, RShunt = 5.0R

In each case, at full current, the shunt drops 50mV; you need to remember that this volts drop may affect your circuit. Take a look at the TI webpage you found and another blog I wrote http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog/cursns2-current-sense-resistors.696/

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
........................whereas the BJT is an current controlled voltage source.
No. For large signals (switching and DC bias calculations) a BJT can be considered a current-controlled current-source (the collector has a high impedance).
For small AC signal applications, the voltage-controlled current-source (transconductance) model is often used.

mscerri

Joined Nov 22, 2012
The resistance of the current shunt RShunt produces 50mV at full scale current. So:
RShunt = 50mV/FullScaleCurrent

for 100A, RShunt = 0.50mR
1A, RShunt = 50mR
10mA, RShunt = 5.0R

In each case, at full current, the shunt drops 50mV; you need to remember that this volts drop may affect your circuit. Take a look at the TI webpage you found and another blog I wrote http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog/cursns2-current-sense-resistors.696/
I have a 5V 1amp power supply. So does that imply that I need to use a 0.05ohm resistor please?