simple AVR if there is any such thing

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
going off topic form my pwm quest.

National news today advises that the low voltage we have been experiencing is going to continue.

Is there anything such as a simple AVR I can make for my monitor that just keeps switching off. The voltage fluctuates between 185To 190 volts

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
A power conditioner comes to mind. Basically a "tuned" transformer arrangement that maintains output volts stable(within limits). Need to look it up on the web( just to refresh myself on its operation). I recall it uses a particular type of core arrangement and winding with a capacitor to "tune" the unit at mains frequency.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
A power conditioner comes to mind. Basically a "tuned" transformer arrangement that maintains output volts stable(within limits). Need to look it up on the web( just to refresh myself on its operation). I recall it uses a particular type of core arrangement and winding with a capacitor to "tune" the unit at mains frequency.
This sounds really interesting what would I look for on the internet?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is called a constant voltage transformer.

Incidentally, the Data General Nova 2/10 minicomputers used a CVT and it did not require additional voltage regulation.
In many instances I experienced brownouts when the room lights would dim and everything else would shut down, except the good ol' Nova 2/10.