Signatures

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Not that tattoos like that are a good thing, I'm against tattoos in all forms, but the swastika used to be an indian peace symbol. Not that that makes it a good thing to have one now. For some reason I felt the need to make that known.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Shortbus has a signature that says "The only way to avoid human error is to avoid the use of humans". I happen to find this a nice amusing quote. But, what if someone else interprets this to mean that mass genocide is a valid political solution to problems? Who is to blame here?
I'm truly sorry if my signature offends anyone. It is just meant to bring a smile to people. :) If some of you find it offensive just say so and I'll delete it.

My screen name may also be offensive to some, but it is only meant to be a put down on myself as I wrote in the 'screen name thread'. I had to come up with something because my chosen name was taken.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I've didn't even make the connection until you pointed that out...
FWIW, I rode with mom every day until this year, now I drive.
She's a teacher, so it made more sense to ride with her than the bus.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I'm truly sorry if my signature offends anyone. It is just meant to bring a smile to people. :) If some of you find it offensive just say so and I'll delete it.

Yours is not offensive at all and I find it very amusing and it makes a good point. This is why I wanted to use it as an extreme example of how even the most benign statement can be misrepresented. Like you, I also thought to offer to delete my signature, if it was offensive to anyone. But, then decided that I shouldn't have to do that. However, I would happily explain to anyone the meaning of the quote and why it is important to me. Hopefully this would let them see their misinterpretation of the message is the real problem.

I wouldn't have thought my quote was offensive either, but this thread made me second guess that also. My quote is the same one I used in my High School year book. It's kind of a reflection of very many aspects of me.

Bill was insightful enough to point out that this is really what we are doing with our signatures - expressing ourselves, not politics or any other sentiment. Even CDdrive's quote, which seems to be so utilitarian, reveals quite a bit about himself, as much as it performs a function.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I think I figured out which quote CDdrive is referring to, but I hate to guess when it's not 100% clear. However, if it is the one I think it is, the statement itself is not offensive, and it's clear to me that the person being quoted is really what is bothering the OP.
OK, I can't stand it any longer! Steve, you hit it square on the head. The quote in the signature in question is absolutely benign. Hell, Gandhi could have said it! However, the cretin that's credited with the quote ......!!!! It must have been one of those... "Think and do as I say, but I've got other plans, and those plans are very, very different".:rolleyes:

Hey Shortbus, I searched for your topic that explains your handle but no luck. I think I'm too old to get the drift anyway. :D

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Even CDdrive's quote, which seems to be so utilitarian, reveals quite a bit about himself, as much as it performs a function.
About 27 years ago I was doing R&D on a new product for a group of Canadian entrepreneurs. These guys ended every statement they made with a caveat, followed by the post script "CYA". My signature is just a byproduct of understanding how important CYA is. :D

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
Not that tattoos like that are a good thing, I'm against tattoos in all forms, but the swastika used to be an indian peace symbol. Not that that makes it a good thing to have one now. For some reason I felt the need to make that known.

Aids used to be the name of a diet pill, bar, food or something for dieting, but what does it bring to mind now? :rolleyes:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It was GRID before it was AIDS.

Gay Related Immune Deficiency.

Now that is a closed minded Infectious Disease Namer!

He should have been fired from the Infectious Disease Naming Department! ;)

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
It was GRID before it was AIDS.

Gay Related Immune Deficiency.

Now that is a closed minded Infectious Disease Namer!

He should have been fired from the Infectious Disease Naming Department! ;)
Yes, now that you mention it I seem to recall something along that line, didn't last very long as I remember. :rolleyes:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008