Signatures

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by CDRIVE, May 29, 2011.

1. CDRIVE

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Since AAC has a policy of 'no political discussions', not even in the 'Off Topic' section, may I suggest that this policy be expanded to 'Signatures' too. I'm currently immersed in a very interesting Piezo topic but the OP recently stuck a political statement in his signature that grates on me. Every time I read it, it's challenging me to comment on it. Like most political and social issues, one person's freedom fighter is another person's ...., well,, we won't go there.

2. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Whose signatures??? whats the signatures???

3. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Without the example, it's difficult to judge if your request is reasonable. For example, my signature is very much a political statement, but i would be bothered if someone told me to remove it. However, signatures should be within the bounds of our collective interpretation of decency, whether politically oriented or not.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. CDRIVE

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Your signature has nothing 'whatsoever' to do with electronics or any of the sciences. After all, I could easily argue the contrary. However, discussing it would just prove my point of why they shouldn't exist in the first place.

Sorry, but I don't want to post a link to the topic and signature in question, as it will do nothing more than promote a discussion that we're not supposed to have.

In retrospect, I should have sent this to the mods, instead of posting it. If the mods don't pick this thread up I will PM them but it's doubtful that I'll discuss it any further here, as it can only cause unnecessary friction.

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    C D, hang in there don't let them run you off.
    Your opinion counts as much as anyone.

6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Discussing it would prove your point, so we should choose not to discuss it and then there is no problem. "Just live and let be." I think the problem is that many many statements can be interpreted as political, even if they are not intended to be.

If the mods do make a change, for example by limiting the signature to electronics and the sciences, I can easily prove that point. In the end we may have no signatures at all.

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    In this case I must agree with CDdrive.

We are 'forced' to be an audience for such statements since we cannot offer an opposing viewpoint to a politically charged signature without creating a situation that is not allowed.

Therefore we should all refuse to be such an audience.

8. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Shortbus has a signature that says "The only way to avoid human error is to avoid the use of humans". I happen to find this a nice amusing quote. But, what if someone else interprets this to mean that mass genocide is a valid political solution to problems? Who is to blame here?

I think I figured out which quote CDdrive is referring to, but I hate to guess when it's not 100% clear. However, if it is the one I think it is, the statement itself is not offensive, and it's clear to me that the person being quoted is really what is bothering the OP. So, again it comes down to interpretation. CDdrive is assuming that the person is trying to make a political statement, when he just may be giving credit to the author of a quote he happens to like.

What happens if I quote a revolutionary like George Washington or Thomas Jefferson? Is someone going to be offended by that too? Why tread on such slippery slopes?

9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    and?

my opinion stands as stated. You have made yours known as well.

Are signatures really needed in an electronics subject matter 'teaching' forum?

Plenty of places on the net for all of us to throw our political opinions around. Besides, some posters here have threads shutdown for just mentioning an automobile battery in part of their circuit idea. If we can't discuss automotive batteries, why should we expect to be allowed our own political expression?

10. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Why should we not expect to be given the benefit of the doubt that we are not trying to make a political statement? When it is clear that a line has been crossed and a person IS trying to make a political statement, I trust the moderators can handle that on a case by case basis.

11. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Do what I do. The moment I signed up I turned off signatures from everyone. Problem solved. :p

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It took me over year to come up with mine.

I truly do not want to give offense, but what business is it of anyone else? It is not part of the discussion, and if it is within the bounds of propriety (not obscene, advocating genocide, or whatever) is as harmless as a t-shirt. If it offends then don't help the person, but that is your problem and prerogative, not theirs.

I do not feel it is appropriate to try to dictate a persons beliefs, nor is it reasonable to censor their words just because you don't agree with their point of view. A signature gives you a sense of whom your dealing with, and is a public statement of who they are. It is not part of a discussion unless you choose to make it so, and it is much more inappropriate to stifle them to prevent being "offended". A lot of fanatics feel it is their right to practice this form of thought control, but what about other peoples rights? I truly hate political correctness in all its forms, it is tyranny of the majority. It is also one of the things the USA Constitution prevents (with good reason), and something I am very proud of. The concept of free speech is very misunderstood by many countries, and many other democracies have trouble with the concept.

I find many of them humorous, and ignore the ones I don't like. Just my 2¢. What Steve said.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks, dad. I didn't know I could turn the signatures off. I find them mildly distracting, even if they are cute/humerous/in good taste.

14. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    So you are missing all my best star trek quotes :)

15. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    'Tis true. No one has the RIGHT to NOT be offended. That emotion comes from each individual and is their very own joy or indignation as they see fit to experience it.

And just to be PC about it. I am very offended by anyone who is offended by my freedom of expression. ;) But I'd be happy to do as they wish...IF they do it first!

16. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Mines free advertising :p
    But yea, I agree that there is nothing wrong with the signature system.

17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Double negative, you have the right to be offended.

OK, but...

I have the right to swing my fist, but it ends where your nose begins. I always liked that one, kinda describes good control in martial arts. :D

Personally I like someonesdad's solution.

18. rogs

Aug 28, 2009
    I didn't realise you could turn off signatures either. That's the obvious answer, surely?
    Likely to be offended or distracted by signatures?
    Turn 'em off!
    It's a no brainer really!

19. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Yeah, there are a few tattoos, bumper-stickers and T-shirts I sometimes wish I could turn off too, but we don't have that option in the real world.

Personally, it takes something really out there to distract or offend me. The one example that comes to mind is the swastika tattoo that I've seen more than once. In the end though, I just pity the ignorance of the misguided person. And, then I remind myself that it's better that these people be allowed to label themselves so clearly, and make us aware of exactly the type of person we are dealing with.

20. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Amen brother.