Signal rectifier

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Why would I want that?
If all your interested in is the positive differentiated signals, no need in having a long time constant with the negative signals, just make them happen fast and forget about it.

And in the example in AoE, all they were interested in was the positive pulses. They said it, in the very first line, There are occasions when you use a diode to make a wave form of one polarity only. and specifically in the third sentenance, For instance, you might want a train of pulses corresponding to the rising edge of a square wave.

There have been many times, in timing circuits where one would square the oscillators sine wave and then develop triggers on either the leading edge or trailing edge of that square wave.

Mazaag

Joined Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by skypher@Apr 20 2006, 02:25 PM
Yes.  Ohm's law gives I = (U_r - 0.7V)/1k = 0V/1k = 0A.
[post=16367]Quoted post[/post]​

sounds good...
but one more question..

we know the voltage DROP across D2 is 0.7... but that doesn't mean that the voltage at the node between D2 and R1 is at 0.7v ... right ?

I can see how we get the 0.7v to appear at the node between D2 and R1 if the value of the voltage there is 0.7v...because like you said no current flows , so NO voltage is dropped across R1 , and the 0.7v will appear on the other side of R1 ... but what i don't get is how do we know the voltage at the node between D2 and R1 is 0.7v ... i mean..doesn't R2 come into play?.. if D2 was connect to R1 on one end , and to GROUND on the other .. then I can see how 0.7v will appear between R1 and D2 ... but right now , there is R2 involved...how can 0.7v appear on the positive side of D2 ?

Thanks alot for your patience guys...

skypher

Joined Apr 16, 2006
You can look at it this way: D2 ALWAYS has a forward drop of 0.7V, the rest is up to the resistors. V_f_D2 is non-negotiable, but V_f_R is.

skypher

Joined Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by JoeJester@Apr 20 2006, 10:00 PM
If all your interested in is the positive differentiated signals, no need in having a long time constant with the negative signals, just make them happen fast and forget about it.
Okay, that's alright. But why not differentiate the positive signals fast?