Signal Generator Question

BassNGuns

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Hi,
I used to be a bench tech years ago and now am getting back into repairing amps and radios as a hobby.
My question is, what's the best thing to buy as far as a Signal Generator for signal tracing?
Should I put a kit together that you may know of or is there a really cool inexpensive one that you could fill me in on?
I'd also like to use it for injecting 455khz signal into an IF stage (or am I thinking of another piece of equipment I need).
Thanks in advance. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can build a simple 2-transistor battery powered oscillator/probe into the body of a used hi-liter marker pen.

You can also build an audio probe using a simple one or two transistor amplifier driving earphones.

For a 455kHz oscillator, look into 455kHz SAW filter/oscillator.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
what kind of accuracy do you want? will a dial work, or would you want digital? what are the requirements of the radios you are working on? like frequency range and such?
I got a couple of wavetek 3000 series generators off ebay a whiloe back and with a little fixing up, I now have a very nice generator that goes up to 512 mhz or so, with both am and fm, and calibrated output in microvolts.

BassNGuns

Joined Dec 9, 2013
what kind of accuracy do you want? will a dial work, or would you want digital? what are the requirements of the radios you are working on? like frequency range and such?
I got a couple of wavetek 3000 series generators off ebay a whiloe back and with a little fixing up, I now have a very nice generator that goes up to 512 mhz or so, with both am and fm, and calibrated output in microvolts.
A dial would work fine.
But for the price they sell used, I can get a new one for just a few dollars more.
I was wondering if there was some newer thing out there that was even handier.
Maybe even having more features.