signal generator question

vittim

Joined Feb 4, 2010
i'm looking to use a signal generator for musical purposes. i'm just not sure what i would need to send the audio output to some sort of amplifier. is an RF cable necessary? should i be looking for pitch generators? is a DAC essential?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
i'm looking to use a signal generator for musical purposes.
What kind? A standard signal generator might generate sine, square, triangle and ramp output waves. Newer arbitrary waveform signal generators can generate any kind of waveform you could think of.

I'm just not sure what i would need to send the audio output to some sort of amplifier. is an RF cable necessary?
Well, not for the audio spectrum. However, it would be a good idea to use a coaxial cable of the same impedance that the signal generator outputs, until you can match it to your line input signal.

Check the output impedance specification of your prospective signal generator.

Should i be looking for pitch generators?
What, precision tone generators?

You know, you'll probably be better off if you start with an instrument that is already MIDI capable.

Besides, a signal generator will have a polyphony of ONE. You will have a heck of a time making a musical arrangement that sounds decent without at least a 4-track recorder and making a LOT of overdub passes. An 8-track DAT will help you keep your sanity a bit longer; trying to bounce tracks on a 4-track will drive you bonkers if you stripe one track for MIDI sync.

Is a DAC essential?
Well, older signal/waveform generators were purely analog. The newer ones use DACs. You can hardly find decent analog waveform generation ICs anymore. The 566 and MAX038 have been gone for a few years now.