Signal Conditioning ICs (like PGA308 from TI)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by drvlas, Oct 16, 2015.

1. drvlas

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hi to all,

I need a signal amplifier-conditioner for use with load cell bridges and half-bridges. Texas Instruments has PGA308, PGA309, PGA400 and PGA900 - and they are very good, it seems. Actually, the first suits me.
    But I'd like to have a broader look, since I'm a novice in the field. What do other manufactures propose? ADI, MAXIM, STM, who else...

Thanks!

2. drvlas

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Don't know how to edit my prev. post, so have to "replay"...
    I want to explain my task.
    I need a module to be used with strain gauge circuits. The bias and the gain have to be adjustable in a quite broad limits. Looking at the picture below we can say that we need a good (zero-drift) instrumental amplifier with adjustable gain K and a regulated bias V, added to the input voltage.
    Signal-conditioner.png

On the old-fashioned boards the switches were used for step adjustment and potentiometers for fine trim. But one-chip conditioners are available now and I'd like to use them. PGA308 was the 1-st I've looked at. And decided to ask the AAC community if there are others.
    Since my 1-s post I've found an ADI analog: AD8557.
    So far the common issue with PGA308 and AD8557 is the absence of internal EEPROM. You have to load all settings every power cycle (so on-board MCU is the must) or you can program the OTP memory (once or 7 times) and that's all. I compare this with old boards: potentiometers which you could turn hundreds of times.
    The PGA900 has EEPROM, but it has an MCU (Cortex M0) too and costs too much.
    So I'm still in search...