Show us your Multimeter

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Fluke 189
Fluke 87
Fluke 376
Yokogawa 2426A megger
Tektronix tekscope. (handheld scope)

+1 max. Meter leads have made an attempt on my life more than once. But even checking lead continuity isn't 100% assurance; I've had bad leads that checked good in some positions, but flex the leads to other positions and lose continuity. That's not to say I don't check continuity first, I do.

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Here are my meters in groups:-

Hand-helds.....

The newest is the Di-log a £7.75 bargain from flea-bay (They're about £60 new.) Oh and that was delivered!

Bench-meters......

I'm looking for schematics of the Advance Alpha, if anyone knows where they can be had I'd be most grateful.
The Fluke is new (to me) and needs some TLC, I've found some replacement piano switches for it but I can't get the right colour,
so it won't look original, but, hey if it works, don't fix it!

Analogue-meters....

These are also new to me, the Avo has various parts inside signed and dated by the makers, most of which was before I was born (1962.):D

Attachments

A multimeter or a multitester, also known as a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter), is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several measurement functions in one unit. A typical multimeter would include basic features such as the ability to measure voltage, current, and resistance. Analog multimeters use a microammeter whose pointer moves over a scale calibrated for all the different measurements that can be made. Digital multimeters (DMM, DVOM) display the measured value in numerals, and may also display a bar of a length proportional to the quantity being measured. Digital multimeters are now far more common than analog ones, but analog multimeters are still preferable in some cases, for example when monitoring a rapidly-varying value.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
After a lotta experience I stick with flukes.

First one was a sansui ones.
Second was a fluke 110. Now for around 6 years I am using a 117C. Great piece of work.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A multimeter or a multitester, also known as a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter), is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several measurement functions in one unit. A typical multimeter would include basic features such as the ability to measure voltage, current, and resistance. Analog multimeters use a microammeter whose pointer moves over a scale calibrated for all the different measurements that can be made. Digital multimeters (DMM, DVOM) display the measured value in numerals, and may also display a bar of a length proportional to the quantity being measured. Digital multimeters are now far more common than analog ones, but analog multimeters are still preferable in some cases, for example when monitoring a rapidly-varying value.
Um....thank you? I don't believe anyone was asking what a multimeter was, but that was a nice description :D:p

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Originally Posted by seoiot123,
, but analog multimeters are still preferable in some cases, for example when monitoring a rapidly-varying value.
I couldn't count how many posts I have seen where people couldn't figure out why they were getting screwy readings trying to measure the coil voltage on a motorcycle with a digital meter. With a 10 Meg input impedance the EMI blasting around the ignition lines can make them read almost anything. Sometimes a needle meter is what works best.

Also when testing the battery voltage under cranking the starter: the DMM reading jumps all over the place but the analog meter is rock solid.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yeah. Wonder if he could tell us what book or site he lifted it from. Might be a book or site worth spending some time with.
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter

First paragraph...

Ragwire

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Fluke 117
Fluke T5-600
Ideal 61-361
Ideal 61-342
Amprobe AM-22
Klein MM200
Sperry analog 19 range...can't remember the model.
Triplett 60 type 2
Simpson 312
VIZ WV-98C
and about a dozen others I can't remember the models of. LOL.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
One habit you will often notice from those that traditionally work with 240 and up, is the ritual of first checking the leads for continuity when first turning the meter on, or occasionally when in use when measuring voltages.
What ever the quality of the meter, leads can go open, giving a false sense of security when voltage shows zero! :eek:
Once you get into the habit, it is second nature.
Max.

Right about that, it a great habit to get going.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I have a good Craftsman, one Fluke temp gauge, and several cheap meters.

Some of those, I paid $4.99-10.99, or so.

Two of those cheapies, I need to repair someday; if I ever learn enough about electronics.:)