Site Suggestion Show top row of buttons on all forum pages

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
First of all, let me say that I appreciate the definite improvements that have been made to the new style. IMO, the updated version is a lot more usable than the original one was, and I know a lot of work has been put into it.

Getting to the topic of my post, a row of forum buttons is present at the top of the forum list page:
forum_buttons.png
In the old (vB Fluid) style, these buttons appeared at the top of all forum pages, but in the new style they only appear on forum lists and threads.

It would be nice if these buttons were also present on all of the pages that they link to (for example, Today's Posts), which would make them behave more like tabs.

The reason for my request is that in the old style, it was nice to be able to view Today's Posts and refresh it by clicking on the button at the top of the page. (Just using the Refresh button in a web browser doesn't seem to work, possibly because the URL needs to contain the current time in order to update the page correctly.) I'm currently not able to do this using the new style.

EETech Adam

Joined Jun 2, 2015
First of all, let me say that I appreciate the definite improvements that have been made to the new style. IMO, the updated version is a lot more usable than the original one was, and I know a lot of work has been put into it.

Getting to the topic of my post, a row of forum buttons is present at the top of the forum list page:
View attachment 87259
In the old (vB Fluid) style, these buttons appeared at the top of all forum pages, but in the new style they only appear on forum lists and threads.

It would be nice if these buttons were also present on all of the pages that they link to (for example, Today's Posts), which would make them behave more like tabs.

The reason for my request is that in the old style, it was nice to be able to view Today's Posts and refresh it by clicking on the button at the top of the page. (Just using the Refresh button in a web browser doesn't seem to work, possibly because the URL needs to contain the current time in order to update the page correctly.) I'm currently not able to do this using the new style.
Hey, thanks for the feedback... @jrap and I will see what we can do to improve the experience for you!

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Hey, thanks for the feedback... @jrap and I will see what we can do to improve the experience for you!
I noticed that the buttons were added to the New Posts and Today's Posts pages, which is a definite improvement in functionality for me. Thanks!

To make better use of screen space, would it be possible to align them to the right of the header (as is done on the main forum list page) rather than below it? That would be great.

I think it would be nice to also have the buttons on the Search Forums, Watched Forums, and Watched Threads pages, to make navigation easier on the forum. But I understand that the new style is still work in progress, and this certainly wouldn't be high priority as I'm just sharing my ideas.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
To make better use of screen space, would it be possible to align them to the right of the header (as is done on the main forum list page) rather than below it? That would be great.
Thanks for doing this too! I appreciate it.

The orange buttons in the header (Articles, Forum, Textbooks, etc.) seem to have stopped working. I used to be able to open the pages they link to by left-clicking them, but this stopped working sometime this morning. Middle-clicking them opens the pages in a new tab, as expected. Is this an intentional change or a bug?