Forum Suggestion Show list of similar threads when posting new thread

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I like that the updated version of the forum now shows a list of similar threads when posting a new thread, as I had suggested.

However, I don't like that now there are no restrictions at all on necroposting, and I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this. Was this the result of a discussion among the moderators, or what exactly happened?
I'm not aware of any such change. If it has changed then it's almost certainly unintended. We'll look into it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But I think the question here is whether the forum software should warn people that they are about to post to a thread that is over a year old (or whatever the criterion was) and requiring them to check a box acknowledging this in order to post any way. This is what it was doing and is not doing any longer.

I believe the consensus was that this WAS valuable and that the mod staff could then focus on the ones that leaked through and got reported.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
But I think the question here is whether the forum software should warn people that they are about to post to a thread that is over a year old (or whatever the criterion was) and requiring them to check a box acknowledging this in order to post any way. This is what it was doing and is not doing any longer.

I believe the consensus was that this WAS valuable and that the mod staff could then focus on the ones that leaked through and got reported.
I agree. While the warning didn't completely prevent necroposting, it certainly discouraged and reduced it. Now that the warning is no longer shown, I think necroposting is actually encouraged. New members (such as tesla0157 recently) may not know that it is frowned on, and even senior members can accidentally necropost if they don't notice the date of the last post.