Should there be a stupid questions forum?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cork_ie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. cork_ie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2011
    AAC is a wonderful asset and is a great place to learn and share ideas and ask questions.Most posters are very helpful and always ready to give their time and share their vast knowledge. Probably 99% + of the posts are serious, where the user has some idea what he wants and makes some effort to explain what he/she is hoping to achieve.
    However there are the occasional posts that amaze me, such as "what value resistor should I use with my LED",or "How do I make a battery charger" with no details of the circuit, no schematic, no parameters, no essential information & often accompanied by appalling spelling.
    Should these have a special forum all of their own -"The stupid questions Forum"

#12 likes this.
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    And acknowledge their place in the world? I don't think so...

mxabeles, BMorse and #12 like this.
  3. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    Well, you've just posted in it; you tell me.

What a beautiful definition.

Wonderful isn't it.

If you look at your keyboard very carefully, there is somethin' called a rectangular "space-bar". Believe it or not this can seperate paragraphs.

Join the club, I learn something new everyday.

Maybe, just maybe, the remaining 1% are only in need for a point in the right direction.

4. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm confused. There are members who are only in need for a point in the right direction; that's it.

maxpower097 likes this.
  5. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    You mean stupid questions like when you meet someone in a movie theater and they ask you "Hey, what are you doing here?"

Questions you described are incomplete due to lack of understanding. Their authors deserve the help that can be offered by more knowledgeable members.

On a more serious note, I've seen a few posts that were never followed up by the OP because they get overwhelmed with demands for schematics etc. in a language that can be a bit harsh. Pretty sure that is how Socrates met his end ;)

p.s. why should I use a resistor with my LED, it works without it :eek:

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The space bar cannot separate paragraphs, only words. That's the job of the "enter" button.

Judge and you shall be judged.:p

Ron H likes this.
  7. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011

It can if you hold it long enough... :D

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Without dumb questions,you would have dumber people,that makes you

a little smarter. How does that feel,do you feel smater.

9. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    STUPID.

Poll: Is this post stupid?

A. Yes
    B. No

There should be a category for bad posts, mainly covering posts with bad subject lines.

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    A tie post check the time moderator,has there ever been a tie post 4:32 am

twice. Loosewire was first by seconds as always.

11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    All my post are stud'pin'tus.

12. cork_ie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I don't know what type of screen or browser you are using , but I see three separate paragraphs on mine!!

I don't think any reasonable person would confuse posts by people looking for a point in the right direction with the kind of posts I am talking about.

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Hmmm, possibly the humor is gone?

I don't mind stupid questions, like farts it is better to get them out of the way so the serious business of learning can begin.

cork_ie likes this.
  14. cork_ie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I tend to agree, a few posters would make great Tabloid editors where the headline has very little to do with the subsequent article.

maxpower097 likes this.
  15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    A "stupid" question is only stupid to one who knows the answer and not to the person asking the question.

absf, atferrari, anhnha and 2 others like this.
  16. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I guess you are right. Of course, it still embarasses me when I ask a question, someone answers it, and then I realize how stupid it was.

17. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Now there are 2 questions......:rolleyes:

18. chrissyp

Aug 25, 2008
    lets face it we are all at differing skill levels and a stupid question to the more skilled may be a reasonable question to a novice,but a stupid question , sometimes deserves a stupid answer but not always ,remember a stupid question is far less expensive than a stupid mistake.

shortbus and alim like this.
  19. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    It looks like I've been hit with an arrow. Oh don't worry, it will take more than that to put me to sleep. (yes I did mean the enter button)

20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    bad post testing.