Should I get a free modem from Verizon?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Mar 6, 2013.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    This is in reference to my thread here:

I'm a cheap bastard. I see no reason to upgrade to

My modem crapped out and fiber optic cable when DSL works just fine for me and I pay $40 less a month.

My modem crapped out and I called to get a new one. Verizon wants to charge me $40 for a new modem. It has always been my understanding that they provide the modem for free. Has anyone else dealt with Verizon to get a new modem?

BTW, if I decide to replace this ancient modem I am using right now, you can bet I won't be buying it from Verizon.
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Time Warner has started charging a monthly "service charge" for modem/equipment servicing fees or some crap.. about $4 a month. Or you can buy one of their "approved" $$$ modems that will take years to get a return on.
  3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Back in the day you had to buy all your FIOS equipment straight up for like $300, so I'm pretty sure thats their gig. When the cable crapped out they I called em and they said anything inside the house was my problem, they can schedule a tech for $100. It ended up being a cable on the multiplexer but I argued with them for an hour before it got fixed. If we had needed new equip. we would have to pay for it. About the tech support its goes in tiers. When your first call you goto teir 3 which is in india, when you press them enough they transfer you to teir 2, better accents and more power. Press them harder and you'll get transfered back to the US to Tier1 and thats the person that can get stuff done, they will clearly be american they can wipe debts, replace your modem, etc.. Tier 3 and 2 just read off cue sheets so you just gotta **** em off enough to transfer you to a higher tier.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I went through the same thing with DirectTV, They wanted to charge me for a home visit. When I explained that FIOS was now in the neighborhood , suddenly they found a "special deal" for long term customers. They ended up sending someone for free and I ended up dropping them a few months later. There is simply nothing on paid TV that makes it worth it to keep, that can't be found elsewhere for a lot less money.
  5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I had to pay $50 to get my free verison phone.