Should a microwave interfere with WiFi?

Grayham

Joined May 18, 2010
Hi,

When I turn on my microwave in the kitchen (which has my AP Router sitting on top of it), all my wifi devices lose connectivity to it (or ping goes from 30ms to 800ms). As soon as microwave stops, ping goes have to 30ms or so.

Does this indicate something wrong with my microwave or WiFi channel settings or is it normal?

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
I know my router which is nearby to my working desk interferes with my wireless mouse. Everytime I try to use my wireless mouse, it lags the cursor a lot, and I think the router is interfering with the USB receiver of my wireless mouse. I went into my router's settings and changed the frequency to the highest, and then the mouse cursor didn't lag and worked normally again! I guess the wireless mouse's frequency is the same as one of the frequencies of the wireless router's output frequencies.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I had the same problem! When I put my wireless router IN the microwave, and cooked it for 30 seconds, It no longer worked.

I guess they are on the same frequency.

Tasted horrible ;)

But actually, you dont want your router near your leaky microwave oven. Even the strong magnetic field produced by the microwave can have negative effects on the transmission of signals to and from the router.

dsp_redux

Joined Apr 11, 2009
My microwave interferes with my wireless speaker system. Sound comes out really distorted. So I guess yeah, WiFi can be affected by microwave ovens. Also, my PS3 can't connect to my wireless network while it's sitting directly on that wireless amp. Poor conception? Maybe... Air saturated with signals? Probably too much.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Flood your body with Astaxanthin. It is one of the only anti-oxidants that can pass the blood-brain barrier.

And with this HIGHLY saturated environment we live in, we have no idea the cellular damage being done to our brains.

Just look how stupid drivers get when they are on there cellphones. ;)

Thats because of the BRAIN DAMAGE from the EM rays beaming through their brains..

..or they are just distracted. ;)

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Microwaves typically put out 1500 or so watts.. Wifi bluetooth and anything that uses the 2.4ghz range is going to be affected. They only put out a few mws max. And if you want complete shiedling of your microwave good luck encasing it in a steel cage welded with no seams wider than the mesh. Change the angle of the mircrowave in respect to the receiving system and you'll get drastically different results. The seems in microwaves are highly directional in their leakage, I just have no idea what direct in relation to the seem itself that is.

I think retched may be irradiated by something called paranoia, nothing at all whatsoever connected with fact ;)

Grayham

Joined May 18, 2010
Yeah... can anyone recommend a good RF meter thingy, I've seen them around I might try to redirect my wifi antenna or microwave if I can get my hands on one.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Para-who-a?

I get a kick out of reading the reports on cell phone usage vs. brain tumor percentage.

There have been studies suggesting people who develop brain tumors are more than 50% likely to have a tumor on the same side of there brain that they hold there cell phones to their heads.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
A recent large, long term, in Sweden study showed that there is no link between mobile phone usage (sorry, cell phone usage) and brain tumours and/or cancer. Your cordless phone is, apparently, a greater risk.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
2000 people with limited genological information in a global pool of 6 billion people? With no statistical link to the actual number of cancer cases itself?
That's junk science.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Did you know that in modern US history that the odds of a coin toss have to be figured from the actual mass of the coin itself and it's relation between the two sides, not to mention the center of mass vs the flipping point. But that it is NEVER 50/50

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
..I think you are reading too much into this...

You see, I switch between both ears while talking because, I like symmetry.

I dont ONLY want a tumor on the right side. It will throw my balance all off. ;)

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Nahh, don't worry about it, if the tumor gets too heavy you can always go Van Gogh and send your girlfriend the ear from the other side of your head =) It'll help get the phone closer to your brain so you can start a tumor there too.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Nahh, don't worry about it, if the tumor gets too heavy you can always go Van Gogh and send your girlfriend the ear from the other side of your head =) It'll help get the phone closer to your brain so you can start a tumor there too.
Thats a good idea. ;)

My girlfriends dont listen to me anyway..

Actually, now-a-days, that will definitely get you arrested.

Sending body parts in the mail, without permits, is illegal. ;)

skeptic

Joined Mar 7, 2010
Bias is a real problem in scientific studies and the authors have discounted any positive results on account of bias. Bias can be very subtle. As Richard Feynman once noted, an experimenter who doesn't get the results he was expecting will check and adjust his equipment to make sure it is set up and operating properly. An experimenter who gets the results he was expecting doesn't.

Add to that that studies that do show a link between cell phone use and cancer get much more distribution than those that don't. A positive correlation without a causal link or a known means by which cell phone radiation may cause a tumor does not prove anything.

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
So I don't understand...A Microwave Oven and a WI-FI router operate on the same frequency, and yet one can cook you and one is harmless. Is it because of the power output? What is the relationship between power and voltage and current? I know that P = IV , but I also heard that increasing the voltage and leaving current very minimal will not kill you because current is what does the damage, not the voltage. And since voltage and power are related, increasing the voltage will affect the Power output, but so as long as current is minimum it shouldn't hurt you, yet, in a microwave oven the reason it cooks food is because it has high power output. Can someone clear this up for me please.