Shot In the Back

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
While we're on the subject, here's another vid of the cops beating crap out of a guy after he tried to flee on a horse:
That's not even in the same ballpark. That crazy desperado was not following orders and was moving to escape after being tazed at least twice with two officers surrounding him. If they had shot him dead instead of using physical force to incapacitate the guy the justification would have been easy.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's not even in the same ballpark. That crazy desperado was not following orders and was moving to escape after being tazed at least twice with two officers surrounding him. If they had shot him dead instead of using physical force to incapacitate the guy the justification would have been easy.
That pretty much clears this up. The subject of this thread (the desperado with the broken tail light) was not following orders and moving to escape after being tazed. No problem. Empty your gun into the unarmed man. Problem solved.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That pretty much clears this up. The subject of this thread (the desperado with the broken tail light) was not following orders and moving to escape after being tazed. No problem. Empty your gun into the unarmed man. Problem solved.
It's the 'Empty your gun' into a unknown subject in the back while running that's the big difference. The horse thief was being chased for miles (in a car, running on foot and riding a horse), abused the poor horse until it bucked him off, hurt at least two other officers and was a 'clear and present danger' to the officers surrounding him as the Taser had little or no effect. Did they kick him a few extra times for good measure, sure but act like a fool get treated like a fool. Use of force is not pretty even when justified.

Last edited:

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
While we're on the subject, here's another vid of the cops beating crap out of a guy after he tried to flee on a horse:

Speaking from personal experience, having 3 family members who were LEOs; they would be turning over in their graves, to witness the low caliber of cops today.

Lack of sufficient IQ, is a major hurdle facing cops of recent generations.::

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/court-police-departments-refuse-hire-smart/

Several decades of cop TV and movies, has lulled the populace into labeling them, as "Heroes".

When I was growing up, the only heroes we had, were our Fathers.

When any one group wields this much power/force, over any other group, corruption and violence ensues.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Speaking from personal experience, having 3 family members who were LEOs; they would be turning over in their graves, to witness the low caliber of cops today.

Lack of sufficient IQ, is a major hurdle facing cops of recent generations.::
What? IQ, of all things to blame. Maybe the good guys who excel at street level policing require an intelligence charismatic that's not measured by traditional testing called survival. The trick in training is when not to the pull the trigger, how to escalate force to the necessary level within the law as it current stands. The problem is the control of fear and emotions under a perceived threat that in that instant of time seems deadly and narrows your perception of reality. It's not raw intelligence that allows you to do the right thing most of the time, it's the proper physiological decision making process reinforced by proper training. Bad cops have always been with us but today the 'camera' is everywhere so a higher percentage (of a small number) of them are getting caught in the act than before.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A few extra kicks for good measure? Yesterday I watched a YouTube video of 5 officers stomping a man for, "refusing to comply". He was in a diabetic coma. It seems the, "few extra kicks for good measure" or shooting people for obeying your order to reach for their drivers license is the root of many abuse charges.

Cameras everywhere catching the, "few bad apples"? Thank Dog!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A few extra kicks for good measure? Yesterday I watched a YouTube video of 5 officers stomping a man for, "refusing to comply". He was in a diabetic coma. It seems the, "few extra kicks for good measure" or shooting people for obeying your order to reach for their drivers license is the root of many abuse charges.

Cameras everywhere catching the, "few bad apples"? Thank Dog!
I'm all for police bodycams preventing the "few bad apples" from making the vast majority of good cops look like thugs or trigger happy fools.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wow. I have been caught in public saying, "The average cop on the beat is incredibly stupid". I had no idea that this fact was confirmed into law by the U.S. Court of Appeals.
Most still look like Einstein when compared to the crooks they catch. Attributing stupidity as the reason for police misbehavior is the wrong approach. Weeding out those with the wrong personality profiles in the beginning and watching officers with a critical eye is what we need. Complete openness and close public scrutiny. Most of the cops involved in these incidents have a history of complaints, most are crap but the valid ones need to be taken seriously.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Most still look like Einstein when compared to the crooks they catch. Attributing stupidity as the reason for police misbehavior is the wrong approach. Weeding out those with the wrong personality profiles in the beginning and watching officers with a critical eye is what we need. Complete openness and close public scrutiny. Most of the cops involved in these incidents have a history of complaints, most are crap but the valid ones need to be taken seriously.
Internal investigations take time. Many small departments don't even have a real internal affairs department. Most cities don't want to pay for better people at any level of their organization and just promote from within - same quality of apples in the whole organization. Lots of on the job training from coworkers so culture is perpetuated.

People from any end of the gene pool or any end of the socioeconomic spectrum can be trained - the military does an excellent job of this. I know there are bad apples in the military too but that is another discussion.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Internal investigations take time. Many small departments don't even have a real internal affairs department. Most cities don't want to pay for better people at any level of their organization and just promote from within - same quality of apples in the whole organization. Lots of on the job training from coworkers so culture is perpetuated.

People from any end of the gene pool or any end of the socioeconomic spectrum can be trained - the military does an excellent job of this. I know there are bad apples in the military too but that is another discussion.
+1

Maybe I've been spoiled by having a small local police force who mainly live locally and know the people who live here without a US vs THEM attitude. We pay more to keep it that way instead of using the county sheriff but it's a two way street on respect and trust.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Weeding out those with the wrong personality profiles in the beginning and watching officers with a critical eye is what we need. Complete openness and close public scrutiny.
The problem with that is it also quickly points out who above them is flawed in their actions and intentions that is a level of local and higher government that does not want their actions to ever become public knowledge.

We have stupid people in law enforcement because they will do what their often times less than honorable superiors ask without question. Intelligent people make for terrible blindly obedient public service minions. They think too much and can put the puzzle pieces together and may not like what they see.

It's the same principle as why intelligent people have a hard time working in companies that are top heavy with self serving dim wits. Anyone with half a brain is going to see through their ploys and undermine their goals for the good of the majority and or company.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
+1

Maybe I've been spoiled by having a small local police force who mainly live locally and know the people who live here without a US vs THEM attitude. We pay more to keep it that way instead of using the county sheriff but it's a two way street on respect and trust.
Lucky you! My sister lives in the hills of Kentucky and the population of that county is so small that the only reason they have 3 LEOs is because it takes that many to work a 24 hour day. When the brats get snotty, we threaten to tell their mother. :D

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in TN no dept can investigate itself. TBI (TN Bureau of Investigation) is called in for anything concerning official misconduct. If a county vehicle is involved in a wreck the Highway Patrol does the accident. If a trooper arrests a politician, or another officer, he is transferred to another station to avoid any problems.
Years ago we had a new nurse start at my workplace, 3 weeks later she said she had to quit and would be moving away. Next day it was in the paper that a police Lt. was arrested for dui. The arresting officer was the nurses husband, she's the one that informed us of the reason for quitting.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I'm all for police bodycams preventing the "few bad apples" from making the vast majority of good cops look like thugs or trigger happy fools.

Another thing I notice is, the older, more experienced LEOs; should be up in arms while watching these new "cops", commit these crimes.

But, they stay silent.

They may be too scared of losing their cushy pensions, for whistle-blowing.

Not the way to live an honest, productive, professional, life.

Before they died, two of my cousins told me about all the corruption and crimes, committed by the older/especially younger, cops.

Like the majority, they also kept quiet.

I never looked at them the same, after those conversations.