Short or not?

soumy

Joined Dec 4, 2009

if there's an open between points E and G in the circuit diagram above, shouldn't points D and C become a short circuit? If not, why?

our prof said that D and C is not short but i believe it's otherwise.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Does the open affect points E -H - G, or E - D - G - or even both paths? It makes a difference to the circuit.

On the other hand, if C & D are connected by a wire, how are they not shorted together? This may be some distinction that equates a short to an accidental or unintended connection, so a deliberate connection is not a short.

soumy

Joined Dec 4, 2009
in the case that the open affect points E -H - G, C and D is short, right? so resistors 2, 3 and 1 will be in series. but if the open only affects points E and D, resistors 4 and 5 will be parallel and they will be in series with resistors 2, 7 and 1. is this correct?

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
our prof said that D and C is not short but i believe it's otherwise.
It is and it isn't; depending on your definition of a short.

1) D and C are shorted if you consider that a short means having no resistance between 2 points.

2) D and C are not shorted if you consider that the voltage source has a total resistance (load) of greater than 0 ohms.

(The same goes for points G and F, as well as E and H)

soumy

Joined Dec 4, 2009
It is and it isn't; depending on your definition of a short.

1) D and C are shorted if you consider that a short means having no resistance between 2 points.

2) D and C are not shorted if you consider that the voltage source has a total resistance (load) of greater than 0 ohms.

(The same goes for points G and F, as well as E and H)
i mean 1) for short.

here's the circuit ( there's an open between points E and H )

what's left of the circuit:

to get the total current of the circuit, using ohm's law, i have to get what the total resistance first. what i really want to know is, do i have to include R4 and R5 in the total resistance of the circuit?

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
You can redraw your original circuit by making resistors 4 and 5, (parrallel combo) into one resistor, than you have a curret path to the top of it as well as a path through it, but when you open up point E and G, you now have a dangling resistor, (the parrallel combo), which is not connected to anything at the bottom side of it.

hondabones

Joined Sep 29, 2009
In the original question the open could occur at points E and D, at points D and G, or both. Thus eliminating resistor 3, 5 or both. I would say there is a number of different ways to look at this problem.

(images shown respectively)

Last edited: