short circuit

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
im thinking about making a circuit that causes electrical shorts
so how can i make this circuit to continuously cause safe electrical shorts without damaging the circuit?!

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
even if i save the current in a capacitor then disconnect the circuit before the short occurs to prevent the damage ?!

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
well i meant the voltage.. listen the thing is that im wondering if i can use the power coming out the short to cause wheel motion

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
because im wondering if the power coming out the short can cause power to cause wheel motion
This doesn't make sense. Your power source can efficiently deliver energy to, say, an electric motor that can drive a wheel. You could use a heater to make steam to drive an engine and your wheel.

A short is an uncontrolled excursion to high current that ends with something acting as a fuse, hopefully an actual fuse or circuit breaker but if those are not present, then the weakest link will stand in and take the heat. Why would you want to do that?

When you say "short", maybe you are hoping to use a spark (not the same as a short) to generate heat? Such a thing is called an arc welder.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
well i meant the voltage.. listen the thing is that im wondering if i can use the power coming out the short to cause wheel motion
No wheel I've ever seen can convert electrical energy to mechanical....

Either way, adding something in the path of a short circuit, by definition, is not a short circuit....

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
the other day i'v witnessed an electrical short coming out the socket and there was this small explosion so i was wondering if i can make a circuit can make purposely make spark in a cylinder to cause wheel motion .. that is the idea im thinking about .. so how can i make this happen

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
but this internal combustion engine uses fuel .. i want to do the same but using electricity not fuel so it wont cause emission

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Using electrical energy directly in an electric motor is far more efficient than converting that energy to heat first, as your short did, and then trying to use that heat to power a motor. Heat engines are less efficient than electric motors.

(Making the electricity in the first place and transmitting it to your house introduces big inefficiencies end-to-end, but the last bit from your wall to motor shaft-work is very efficient.)

If you just want heat, burn the coal or natural gas that would have been used to make your electricity. You'll get much higher efficiency overall.

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Using electrical energy directly in an electric motor is far more efficient than converting that energy to heat first, as your short did, and then trying to use that heat to power a motor. Heat engines are less efficient than electric motors.

(Making the electricity in the first place and transmitting it to your house introduces big inefficiencies end-to-end, but the last bit from your wall to motor shaft-work is very efficient.)

If you just want heat, burn the coal or natural gas that would have been used to make your electricity. You'll get much higher efficiency overall.
but i dont want heat i want fire

phoeny

Joined Sep 22, 2012
yeah but what im trying to do is saving electrical energy by pulsing the voltage instead of constantly feeding the motor as in electric motoros

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
yeah but what im trying to do is saving electrical energy by pulsing the voltage instead of constantly feeding the motor as in electric motoros
A motor is not always "constantly fed"....

If you do this fast enough, you are controlling the motor through PWM.... if you do this slow enough, you are severely killing your efficiency....