Short CCT analysis Machine shop

matt11111

Joined May 12, 2009
I am trying to perform various electrical analysis of a machine shop. I was going to begin by doing a fault current analysis. I am looking for some instruction on steps I should perform to complete this task.

So far I have mapped the wiring of the building from the main panel to sub panels and transformers and then to the loads they supply. I have also gathered the information off the machines(lathes,drillpresses,etc) in the shop which include information such as supply voltage, FLA, freq, rpm, etc

So now I guess I need to determine if the lines that feed the machines and the breakers are sufficient in case of a short cct in one of the loads. I am unsure of how to continue, and help would be apreciated

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
matt11111, I have never done this personally, but I think that your main reference is the NEC. As long as it is adhered to, barring any local codes that supercede it, you should be okay.

I'm sure you know the circuit's amperage is defined by the short circuit protection and that all of the devices and the cable connected to it must be in conformance with the amperage. Furthermore, I'm sure you know the NEC rules for determining voltage drop and all that.

So how can we be of any use? You have to have a specific question. Good luck to you! :)