shopping for the right rotary switches

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
I am in need of finding a couple replacement rotary pots for a project. i need 2 specifically, with one being an 8 position/‘clicks’ and the other being 9. i know very little about rotary switches and want to be sure that i am purchasing the correct ones.
they both have 12 terminals on the rear perimeter of the pot with 4 others in the middle labeled ‘a’ ‘b’ ‘c’ ‘d’. on both of these, the ‘b’ ‘c’ and ‘d’ terminals in the middle are severed so that the only one in use is ‘a’. heres a pic of one of the pots in question(note the rear pic as only one of the 4 terminals is in use in the middle). i am wanting to purchase them from a particular site and it looks like they carry 3 that look similar to the ones i need but im still not 100% sure which one will suffice, as i dont see any that are exactly 8 or 9 position. i noticed on some of the descriptions they say its adjustable, so does that mean that i can permanently set how many positions are on it because i have a similar looking rotary in my hand here and i cant see how it can be done. could someone tell me which one out of the 3 sold on this page here will suffice for what i am needing? i’m assuming the last one is what i need to cover both switches, but id just like to make sure before i order anything. if so, how do you adjust these to set the positions? thanks again folks and take care
Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Catego...,+Relays&searchpath=1552522&start=49&total=60

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
whoops, meant to say switch, not pot. :) do you know if they happen to have what i am needing through the smallbear link above though? i'm trying to buy everything at one place to save what i can on shipping. thanks for your input beenthere!

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Look at the second pic you showed us. You see that metal ring next or around the thread. Use a small screwdriver and lift it up then move it to the next hole . Turn the spindle of the switch and count the clicks. If you count to 8 fix it to that hole. Now do the same with the other one until you count 9 clicks