Shock from electric fence in early pregnancy?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by justpassingthrough, May 15, 2013.

1. justpassingthrough

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2013
    I'm newly pregnant... 4.5 weeks. Today while showing my toddler cows in a field, my hand accidentally brushed up against the electric fence.

I could feel the current go from my hand down to my leg and foot, but I didn't really feel any pain at all and nothing hurts. That leads me to believe I didn't get a strong shock.

However, I am beside myself with worry because I've read that a hand-to-foot current means the electricity likely passed through my uterus.

I called my OB and she reassured me that the embryo at this age is "well-protected". I am not so sure, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    There aren't many expert ob-gyns here, but I think that the worry is more important than the electric shock. The shock was temporary and it is very unlikely to have done any harm. Even if it did some harm, you can't fix it. The worry seems to be persisting, and that causes your internal chemicals to alter. Please don't do that. You might make the fetus anxious.

justpassingthrough likes this.
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I expect you and your child will be just fine. Since it was just a quick shock, I expect it only traveled on the outside of your body rather than through the uterus. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, so it really wouldn't have a reason to go deep into your body. It probably just went along the surface of your skin. So like #12 said, don't worry about it. I can almost guarantee that everything will be quite alright :)

Best wishes to you and your child!

Regards,
    Matt

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Twelve,

Are you sure about, "There aren't many expert ob-gyns here". She had two bite in very short order.

I was wondering how long she would wait for an answer. You two were way more sensitive to that anxious mother-to-be than some no-mind fools on other forums.

5. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Do you have or care for children, GopherT? Do you know anyone who is pregnant? It seems you are terribly insensitive. This young woman came to us for help with a very serious matter, the least we can do is give her all the information and reassurance we can.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I don't mean this to be insulting, so please don't be offended.

Cows that are pregnant with calves are routinely confined by electric fences, and I have never heard of any pre- or post-natal problems as a result of electric fence shocks. If there was any danger to their livestock, farmers and ranchers wouldn't use electric fences for their cows, horses, goats, etc.

There is no need to worry!

7. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    I agree that it is highly unlikely that the current actually passed through your internal organs. It has travelled along the surface and that is what you felt. The best to do now is relax.

Take care.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Are you implying that I'm an expert gynecologist? I don't think so. I simply answer complete strangers on public forums when they ask about electrical things, and sometimes, I'm wrong.

9. justpassingthrough

May 15, 2013
    Thank you to everyone above. Your posts are tremendously reassuring, believe me. I was able to sleep last night!

I didn't know electricity could just pass over the skin. I thought no matter what, it always entered the body through the skin.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  10. CVMichael

Aug 3, 2007
    Maybe he will be the next Nikola Tesla. When he grows up, you can tell him: You had your first shock before you were even born :D

justpassingthrough and DerStrom8 like this.
  11. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I do, and I do.
    I simply thought the question was interesting and took the time to search the web to see if any research existed on the subject. I couldn't find any search or case histories. I only found a series of similar questions on other forums (forums were on topics of pregnancy or medicine). I was really disappointed at the quality of scientific assertions and claims made while they knew a concerned pregnant woman was relying on their answers. I won't get into them here since they have no technical merit (in my opinion). I actually agreed with your answer.

My comment regarding you and twelve being sensitive was intended to be in comparison to some of the other discussions I read on this site (and most forums in general). I was actually impressed, I was not judging.

I don't remember anyone ever referring to me as "insensitive" but, to argue on a logical basis, I could not use my memories as evidence since an insensitive person would not notice such comments. Therefore, believe what you want about my sensitivity/insensitivity.

As for #12,

His comment,
    really made me laugh for two reasons. First, I am a big fan of comedic sarcasm, exaggeration and under-statements. Second, I had been looking through comments from people on the ob-gyn type forums and i thought the comments related to electricity on those sites were completely without merit. Therefore, I found it funny that he thought it best that an ob-gyn answer her question. I disagreed that an OB-gyn would best answer the question and found it appropriate that he answered. By saying anything, at least he got the discussion started and kept her post near the top of the list in case anyone with additional insight comes along.

In reality, I was impressed that she found this site and, with no similar topics visible, she posted her question. I cannot believe she came here first so I assume she also found other comments on the web about this topic and she must have decided their answeres were bull$hit so she eventually found her way here.

Which brings me back to my original statement where I said I was impressed with your sensitivity towards her. My surprise was mostly related to how insensitive many poster are to each other and I was pleased to see you took her question seriously.

12. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Sorry GopherT, apparently I misunderstood your post. I apologize for calling you insensitive.

GopherT likes this.
  13. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Can we have a group hug? :D

#12 and Ron H like this.
  14. justpassingthrough

May 15, 2013
    Well, just an update, in case anyone cares to hear.

Had an ultrasound yesterday and the little one is doing perfectly so far at almost 7 weeks, with a healthy heartbeat.

So you were right!

Thanks again.

DerStrom8, tindel and Georacer like this.
  15. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    I don't know about you, but my experience has shown that their is very low resistance to the uterus, if done right. :p Sorry - I couldn't resist! (rim-shot!) :p :D

In all seriousness - I hope you visit your OB-GYN - we know just enough to get us in trouble when talking about electricity and it's effects on the human body - I doubt anyone here has studied it seriously. Your OB-GYN will be able to diagnose the health of your child. [Edit] just saw that you went to your doctor and received good news! That's great!

Good luck and congrats on the new addition! :)

16. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    So glad to hear it! Congrats once again. Keep us posted, will you? :)

Ouch, that was low..... :D:p