Shields up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cmartinez, Mar 23, 2015.

1. cmartinez

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
  2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    the article confuses me, but these reporters often describe technologies incorrectly.
    the 'shield' would be formed by a plasma, composed of ionized air molecules I presume. How could this tenuous layer, cause significant deflection of an explosive powered concussion wave?
    i have been on deck when a 5 inch gun was being fired. The compressive concussion wave from that gun was enough to physically impact my body just as firmly as a persons hand impacting my chest. Detonation of a large piece of C-4 is on a whole other level. rarified AIR could not protect one from such powerful explosives.

3. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Maybe what it actually does is deflecting debris, but not the shock wave. ?

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    No, the article explicitly says that the system won't protect from direct concussion waves. It only protect from waves at a greater than 0 degree angles. My guess is the plasma field makes a sort of "lense" which redirects the wave. The lense could be produces by changing the density of the local air mass. Ionization might do that.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    cmartinez likes this.
  5. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    I wonder at what level what they already have working in the lab is capable of working...