shaver socket

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by adibom, Aug 24, 2010.

1. adibom

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    why only the shaver socket can be installed in the toilet? is it safe in the toilet?what kind of protection used?

regards
    adibom

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Where did you get that regulation info? How about a hairdryer outlet, or one for the hair curler/straightener/crimper?

Ken

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I believe he is looking for information on a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet.
    Those are typically installed in any wet locations/bathrooms,etc.. So incase you are an idiot and shave or dry your hair in the bathtub and drop the electric device into the water you don't kill yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

4. n1ist

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm guessing he may be from the UK. A shaver socket there has a built-in isolation transformer, with both output leads ungrounded. You can't get a shock by touching one of the leads and ground. They are low current, so they won't work with a hair drier.

/mike

5. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I have seen those. They are rated at about 20VA, and have a thermal shutdown in them, so you can't use a hairdryer for example. I think they have to have isolation by law.

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    adibom,

If this is the case, it's a good reason to put your location (in the world) in your forum profile.

Ken

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I have seen the transformers in several hotels in holland and germany.
    I think it is an old regulation, as more modern hotels do not use them anymore.

Bertus

8. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    Puller one out just the other day from one of our rental properites built in the mid 60's up here in Canada.

9. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Interesting, sort of a predecessor to a GFCI.

10. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    The european regulation EN 60742 is still current.

Shaver sockets are a case where safety is ensured by having a very high impedance to earth and a limited current supply capacity.

Transformers are double wound to ensure that the circuit is separated completely from others. There is a screen between windings and the secondary windings have no connection to earth. You can take hold of any terminal and hold say an earthed tap (faucet) without shock since there is no possibility of an earth loop.

You buy (install) special units containing the transformers as shown in my diagram. I have shown a unit with both UK and US voltages available, some units do not have the tapping and only supply a single voltage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010