Share your tips for identifying components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JNBUK, Jun 4, 2012.

1. JNBUK

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I've been going through a cache of components trying to identify what is what and have noticed that it isn't always straight forward.

Sometimes the longest number on the part is not the component ID, some times it is split over two lines regardless of space etc

So it has been trial and error in a lot of cases.

So do you have any tips for identifying components, such as how to recognise what characters are helpful in finding the datasheet etc?

2. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If they are proprietary IC's (designed specifically for a manufacturer) most probably you are out of luck unless there is a service manual that could tell something - if you can relate the IC to a certain piece of equipment.

First step in any case: look for logos. Many companies already vanished but datasheets could be around.

There are good lists of images in the Web with logos.

3. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    1. package
    2. logos
    3. numbers/letters
    4. measure the component with a multimeter
    5. if it's in circuit try to find out what function it could have

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Lots of tricks to learn. 8915 means the 15th week of 1989, therefore, 1010 means the 10th week of 2010. It's a date code.

C245 might mean 2SC245, a 3 legged transistor.

Then again, 7915 means negative voltage regulator, 15 volts. You could only know that by being familiar with lots of part numbers. Post a bunch of numbers and see how many the local denizens can sort for you.

5. Evil Lurker

Aug 25, 2011
    I have identified many components using www.alldatasheet.com using the "included" search method and inputing four or so characters, letting the site's search engine drag up a bunch of PDF's, and then sifting thru them manually till I find one that fits the component.

6. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    i have found all data sheet very helpfull as well as datasheet archive however i like the first one a bit more. there are some codes that mean differnet things usily the first 2 digits indicate the divice then the rest voltage, etc. when i get parts from some old divice i'm destroinging that look like transistors i throw them in a compartment in a spacemaker continer with dividers then idnetify them and place them in a matching compartment. for like parts e.g - voltage regs in one+Vregs in another power mosfets in another.

7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009