shape recognition

stuart

Joined Jul 2, 2011
Does anyone know of a software program that can calculate the area of an irregular hand drawn shape merely from that shape's perimeter. Furthermore, can this type of software be incorporated into a sheet of glass which has some form of built-in sensitivity, light sensitive perhaps.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I once used Quick-CAD (primitive of AutoCAD) to measure an area of my parents' farm. Imported the farm from a Google Earth image. Scaled the image from the known length of a fence line. Drew a perimeter polygon around the land in question and let the CAD calculate the area.

But, your request sounds like something more that a one-time measurement. What you're looking for is called a graphics tablet or digitizer or digitizing tablet or graphics pad or drawing tablet (from wikipedia...;) )

Ken

stuart

Joined Jul 2, 2011
Hi Ken

I have used SketchUp which has the same capability as most CAD software and can give the area of any irregular shape drawn using the 'free hand' tool in whatever unit of measurement you want to use. As for graphic tablets, I could use one hooked up to my laptop and open up the CAD software of choice to do just that. No, what I am investigating is technology which can be embedded in a sheet of glass that would detect the shape of an object placed upon it, then the software would do the calculations. There does not need to be any interaction between the user and the sheet of glass, as in the case of a tablet, it merely has to read.
It may be that this kind of set up does not yet exist, though the technology is certainly available to make it happen, I am open to suggestions.

Stuart.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How about the scanned image from a regular scanner?
Code to calculate the area is relatively straight forward.