Sexiest car ever

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have yet to see a BMW that I really like.
My Dad's best friend bought one of those 3-series BMW's many years ago, and for some reason was very enthusiastic about it. I took it for a drive and found it noisy, underpowered, had an unpleasant suspension and a cramped interior, as well as having a very plain exterior. Maybe it was the gas mileage that he liked.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My Dad's best friend bought one of those 3-series BMW's many years ago, and for some reason was very enthusiastic about it. I took it for a drive and found it noisy, underpowered, had an unpleasant suspension and a cramped interior, as well as having a very plain exterior. Maybe it was the gas mileage that he liked.
I can agree to that. A plain 3 series is not the most exotic car. It is not that bad. But still quite ordinary. And also quite small. I have never owned one my self

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I own an older E30 (1984), and I've found it to be a fairly nice car. No, there's nothing really special about it, but it's comfortable and fun to drive. Unfortunately, that is the only BMW I've driven, so I can't say much about others. However, I understood this thread to be asking about the "sexiness" (i.e. beauty, sleekness) of automobiles. In this category, I vote BMW simply because they are very beautiful and sleek cars. :D

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Oh, I don't know. BMW have had their moments.

1990 M1

Does this look familiar?
1972 Ford Pantera. They had a mid-engine 351 cubic inch (5.75L) Cleveland 4bbl, and ran like scalded dogs.

At least BMW picked a decent retro design to copy.

2000 Nazca
Does this look familiar?
1988 Jaguar XJ220; was the fastest production car in the world at the time, and had a twin turbo DOHC 3.5L V6 542HP engine:

Looks like BMW pretty much copied the idea with a bit of re-styling.

The new Z6 (Z8?)
That looks like a re-styled Nissan Z-car, but probably doesn't have the reliability; and I'm sure it's much less affordable.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Maybe the De tomaso designers were gazing in the direction of Modena when they came up with the Pantera. Or maybe the other way around. Who knows.

Sure, maybe there is not a whole lot of originality in the auto industry. Even with the exotics. For sure BMW are not the only guilty party.

1973 Ferrari 365BB

Attachments

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
AMEN!

Give me the good old american muscle cars, from back when they were made of metal!

V V V V --- I WANT ONE OF THESE!!!! --- V V V V

Although, there is something about these that I can't get enough of-

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Growing up my next door neighbor had a 79 corvette stingray. That was the car of my dreams until 1998 when the Trans Am with the WS6 nostril hood came out. I stayed true to that until 2005 when I bought one (1999 model). I loved that car; felt good to drive the car of my dreams. I poured 10s of thousands of dollars into it; it was so badass; then I had to grow up. Now I drive a post-wrecked 2-tone 1993 chevy pickup, and I am content with it, but I dream to one day restore either a 1961 lincoln or a 1967 Ford fairlane 500. Time to ride in style...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Does this look familiar?
1972 Ford Pantera. They had a mid-engine 351 cubic inch (5.75L) Cleveland 4bbl, and ran like scalded dogs.
At least BMW picked a decent retro design to copy.Looks like BMW pretty much copied the idea with a bit of re-styling.
Some trivia. First the BMW M1. It was based on a concept car first First shown in 1972. It was produced from 1978 to 1981. The person behind the design was Giorgetto Giugiaro. And here comes the interesting part. Giorgetto Giugiaro also designed the De Tomaso Mangusta. Which later was replaced by the De Tomaso Pantera. The latter model was not a Giorgetto Giugiaro design. De Tomaso was a car company of Italy went bust in 2004. Ford started to import the De Tomaso Pantera in 1971. But the american version was still produced in Italy. So it is not correct to call it a ford.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
As you can see, this one had A/C - mine didn't, but that was OK with me.

That 425 was probably the strongest stock motor that Olds ever made. The cranks were forged steel for (I think) '65 and '66; or maybe it was '66 and '67 - then they introduced the 455, and it had a cast crank.
Mine never had air either that orange air cleaner sure brings back memories :)