Seven Dirty Words

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Usually there's quite a mature level of discussion in the forums. I think that the site isn't 18 or older, but the general dangers involved in reading AAC highly exceed picking up bad manners.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Feeling the urge to cuss someone out? Personally I've found it isn't hard to convey a point without using questionable language. Since flaming is pretty much banned that leaves sexual innuendo. I see a little now and again, but nothing too objectionable. So where did the discussion come from?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Feeling the urge to cuss someone out?
Nope

Personally I've found it isn't hard to convey a point without using questionable language. Since flaming is pretty much banned that leaves sexual innuendo. I see a little now and again, but nothing too objectionable. So where did the discussion come from?
A series of innuendos got out of control, in my opinion, leading to use of a pretty vulgar term. That term has now been deleted. In reviewing forum rules, I could not find specific prohibitions, which is perhaps good. However, I think some clearer guidelines could be developed. Thus, it is made as a suggestion.

This is a public place with all walks of life and ages participating. I've come to accept OMG as a modern substitute for oh my gosh. I think the line should be drawn between that and WTF and other acronyms with that F, regardless of whether the vulgarity is spelled out.

John

Edit: My objection is more directed at vulgarity, than at simple expletives. Even he** is not too bad on rare occasion, if appropriate and not every 4th word in someone's comment. Maybe a guideline along lines of, "simple expletives (so long as they are not derogatory toward any individual or deity) may be allowed, but vulgar terms will not be tolerated," could be a starting point for discussion.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Personally I don't feel offended by WTF or any other acronyms that tend to express amazement rather than offensiveness. They have become so common that they lose any vulgarity and "taboo matter" in my opinion.

But I 'm only 21 years old and the site does have many well respected "old men" and "women". A poll would be a nice way to settle this.

I repeat that I refer to swearing that isn't targeted against any person inside or outside the forum, but against personal situations and to express amazent or question, in the way that modern internet hype tends to.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The trouble with WTF is that it is read differently by men and women. I grew up in SoCal and did a fair bit of surfing. Almost everything we said included a f'ing or b'ing. On the East coast, I learned it was not quite as acceptable. Surfing the web is not the same as surfing at San Onofre picking up a few rads. Secondly, WTF is easily modified to WTFG, OMFG, etc. I think those versions are clearly out of bounds.

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If I am not wrong. I think all post are checked against a list of bad words. And the moderators are notified if a posting contains one or more bad words. I guess most of this words on that list refers to male and female body parts. Or words related to the act of sexual intercourse. But those words are seldom needed in any electronic discussion.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
As I don't read every post on here I must have missed the vulgar one. This is the most respectful site I've ever found on the web, and the most helpful. Don't recall seeing a flame war here, but maybe I missed that too.

As far as someone getting vulgar, I don't think they would be around very long, because they would be shunned by most people.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
WTF! I missed the f'in vulgar post too?

Jpan, I hope you had the f'in sense to copy it so I can at least read the f'in thing.

Hay-zeus f'in Chrysler!

Some times I wonder WTF is going through your head.

!

To tell you the truth, I dont even like to see that kind of writing around.

I am a pretty funny guy (If I say so myself), and I manage to get points regarding On and Off topics (if you will) without any form of explicative or general "bad words"

There are filters for vBulletin. You can have [censored] put in place or the post moderated, or the offending words changed to more tolerant words..per se..

With electronics comes frustration.

I dont look down on people who say: I have been working on this project for 200+ hours and after doing blah blah blah, I cant figure out what is wrong with this damn thing.

Darn just doesn't get the feeling across.

I haven't used it here (until now)

There is a whole dictionary and/or thesaurus full of words and options to use.

I remember hearing "damn" in the first "CARTOON" transformers movie when the "all spark" thing would not open up.

REALLY there is no use for them.

Especially when a 10 year old jumps on here for science fair, or show and tell help.

So screw it. Just get rid of it.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sexual innuendo may be almost unavoidable, but what are the limits? Perhaps the moderators can give some guidance.
We censor certain words automatically, several are the seven dirty words and derivatives there of, others are just vulgarities. As with all language, context is crucial and the types of people who frequent this forum mean that there is typically little problem with crude, offensive, or vulgar language; hence why moderating this sort of thing has always in the past been reactive.

If you want some guidance: do not use offensive or vulgar language at all and if you see any, even if you are unsure, report it and we will deal with it as appropriate. If you have to ask yourself "is this offensive or vulgar", then chances are it will be classed as such. The English language is so diverse that there is little need in using crude language at all, and to avoid micro-moderating members we would like you guys to exercise your own common sense on your use of language when making replies.

Dave

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Agreed. That is what I meant by the dictionary/thesaurus line.

It isn't too hard to find a good word to get your point across. AND It has the side effect of education. You will be learning a new word, expanding your vocabulary, and "appearing" that much more intelligent.

The chicks dig it.

Just ask my ex's! ;)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I believe that we all should do our best to speak to each other with respect, and in a manner that everybody understands. I also believe that we should make an effort to write as grammatically correct as we can. Then I would learn, and I think some other members also would learn.:)

Just ask my ex's! ;)
Are there more than one....:confused:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I believe that we all should do our best to speak to each other with respect, and in a manner that everybody understands. I also believe that we should make an effort to write as grammatically correct as we can. Then I would learn, and I think some other members also would learn.:)

Are there more than one....:confused:
Ummm unfortunately yes.. There are many more than one.

And I ran into MANY of them during New Years festivities.
It almost seems like they started a support group! I had 4 exgirlfriend HANGING OUT TOGETHER for new years!...

Thats why I dont have one of those facebook accounts. Thats ALL I need.. eesh.