Setup to test a filter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by atferrari, Apr 5, 2014.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I have never done this before.

Today I started to test the state variable filter in the attached circuit.

My setup is just a (brand new) function generator sweeping from 30 Hz up to 30 KHz, 1 V pk-pk - 0 offset. Output impedance set to 50 ohms and signal applied to R8 which not yet connected to the preamp.

Soon I realized that I needed to trigger the scope (generator's 2nd channel, delivering pulse with the same period of the sweeping).

Basically I get a response that barely looks what I could expect for HP, BP and LP (albeit irregular and asymetric) but I cannot find anything that I could call a notch.

Op amps polarization checks as +4,4V, in case you ask.

Eventually I could take some pictures tomorrow.

My questions: am I doing right?

How to measure fc? I suspect there is an obvious way but I cannot think of any right now. I have no markers available.

Comments and suggestions will be aprreciated.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    If you pass white noise through the filter and observe the output in the frequency domain, you can see the filter response easily.

atferrari likes this.
  3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Post a picture of the oscilloscope sweep.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Use the signal generator to drive the horizontal sweep at a logarithmic rate, if it has that ability. Mine does, and I built it from a kit about 40 years ago.

5. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola crut

After a long time trying, I learnt that my DSO has a strange way of changing settings, even if I do not use the autoset mode.

The circuit is assembled in a very cramped perfboard. Maybe there is something wrong that I am not seeing.

This morning I assembled the same circuit in a protoboard :eek:, brought back in service my old and friendly analog scope and enabled the generator's sync output.

The notch is there, as we use to say, "big as a house" together with other expected outputs.

Being my first time with this, I feel happy. :) :p

Thanks for replying.

6. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Now that I have it working, have to see how. Is it just using the FFT function?

7. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, logarithmic sweep.

#12 likes this.
  8. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    ...That'll do it...

atferrari likes this.