Setting delay between LED's in taillight

vrod1992

Joined May 29, 2016
Hi all,

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered before but I am currently trying to "retrofitting" a sweep function on the tail light of my car. I have bought a new set I will be working on but before taking things apart I'd like to get to know the process first. The car is a golf 7 with the led tail lights

I am looking to do it so they work like on the audi's:

The tail light consists of 2 parts on each side of the car (counting LED's): Part 1: LED-LED-LED-LED-LED then Part 2: LED-LED-LED-LED-LED-LED-LED

So, for this to work I suppose I would have to add a delay device in between each LED, correct? What kind of device would I buy in this case? anyone with suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi all,

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered before but I am currently trying to "retrofitting" a sweep function on the tail light of my car. I have bought a new set I will be working on but before taking things apart I'd like to get to know the process first. The car is a golf 7 with the led tail lights

I am looking to do it so they work like on the audi's:

The tail light consists of 2 parts on each side of the car (counting LED's): Part 1: LED-LED-LED-LED-LED then Part 2: LED-LED-LED-LED-LED-LED-LED

So, for this to work I suppose I would have to add a delay device in between each LED, correct? What kind of device would I buy in this case? anyone with suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Also, I' e worked on plenty of cars, motorycycles, boats and bikes. One thing that drives engineers crazy in the automotive world is connectors and wire. Any DIY will have issues over the long-term. Solder joints crack, wire fatigues and insulation on that wire ages/cracks and shorts.

Tail-lights/brake lights are not something you will check on a regular basis so, you are risking a nasty rear-end accident one day when you lay on the brakes and some unsuspecting driver nails you - and it will appear like their fault because no cop is going to open your tail-lights to see a hack DIY job. They may go to that extent if there is a death but, as you may be able to tell, the Audi parts are likely worth the investment.

vrod1992

Joined May 29, 2016
Yes, they do not interfere with the brake LED's at all. All 4 tail lights would also have to break at the same time if they didn't work. Plus the middle led brake light bar. :)

Where would I be able to buy all the stuff I need for this? I would prefer to buy all parts in the same shop, does anyone know a good one within the EU?